I want a child but...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I do not have a thyroid and often feel bad (no energy, bad sleep, depressed. etc.) but want a child in the future. If I were to have a kid would my child not have a thyroid too? It makes me so nervous...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. When you say you do not have a thyroid, do you mean you were born without one or you had it removed? If you were actually born without a thyroid, is there another person in your family without it that you know of?
    • Posted

I was born without a thyroid (congential hypothyroidism) and noone in my family has this problem... My mother says it was just sporadic (the cause)
    • Posted

Ah...congenital hypothyroidism means you have thyroid hormone deficiency , not a missing thyroid altogether. It is NOT likely that your child/ren will have it too.
    • Posted

Congenital hypothyroidism (CHT) is a condition resulting from an absent or under-developed thyroid gland (dysgenesis) or one that has developed but cannot make thyroid hormone because of a ‘production line’ problem (dyshormonogenesis). Babies with CHT cannot produce enough thyroid hormone for the body’s needs. The term ‘congenital’ means that the condition is present at birth.

• Posted

I was born without one... I know what it means lol
    • Posted

smile I meant to say: "not necessarily a missing thyroid altogether", in explanation to why i was asking as the term can mean several things... Your child is not likely to have the condition or not more likely to have it than any other child. You need to ensure good levels of iodine in your diet in pregnancy. This goes for all pregnant mothers anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.