Recovery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 18 weeks post op. How is everyone's recovery going? I need to hear some positive stories cause I am. Stone frustrated with how long it is taking me to get back to normal.

Anyone have the following problems?

1. Popping noise from ankle?

2. Hard time walking with foot straight

3. Hard time walking and not having knee locked cause it hurts to bend knee and walk?

Help!!!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry Lori. My struggles are new BUT I'm praying that we continue to recover at 100% with PT, stretching, a lot of vitamin C, and ice packs.

Did you regain total feeling in your foot???

• Posted

I am 6 weeks today and yes to number 2 and 3. The straight leg thing is really causing some extra strain on the knee that I don't need. But on the bright side i am glad to be back on my own 2 feet walking even if it is more of a shuffle lol.

• Posted

Hi Lori,

I have the same problem as number 2 but don't worry you will get there eventually, a day at a time. I was told by my doctor that this injury is worse than breaking a bone as it is a long recovery process.

Be positive and all will be good.

• Posted

Hello Lori - This week is week 18 after operation for me too.

1. I don't get popping noise from ankle. If I massage the tendon sometimes it sounds like a tiny popping sound.

2. Yes you ll have hard time walking with foot straight. Stiffness from thickened tendon. Weakness of calf. My walking has improved and after hot yoga class I can walk quite straight normally for sometime before stiffness returns

3. I don't have this issue

What shoes are you wearing? I'm still in good light but supportive trainers.

• Posted

Ps i believe you will improve each week, the more you do, there ll be improvement, I excercised on stationary bike on 3 consecutive days - that didn't work well for me - I had pain and rested 2 to 3 days. I'm ok again...

• Posted

Hi Lori, I'm at 15 weeks post op. Here's life just now for me...

Walking okay with pretty much no limp (although having to work at this and fight the urge to limp). Wear trainers with gel wedge in heel all the time. When in office or at home, I walk around in bear feet (poor colleagues)

Driving car with a clutch again which is fine, although if driving a long way it does get sore and very swollen.

Played 18 holes of golf last week for the first time. Ankle was very swollen after and it took 2 days to settle. One game a week from now on...

Going to physio twice a week for massage and ultrasound. Doing calf raisies in pool every morning and swimming. 

My leg does still get swollen every day and the surgeon told me to expect this for the next year. I've just accepted this and although it's a bit sore, it is bearable without needing to take pills.

With regards to keeping your foot straight, from what I've been told, you really need to fight through it and work hard to keep your foot straight if at all possible. Also avoid limping if you can. Both of these can easily become habitial and very hard to lose if you do them too long.

It's a horrible injury, but by doing all the right things and staying focused, it will get better and life will get back to normal.

Good luck with your recovery...

• Posted

Hello Kris. Really good to hear your story - how does ultra sound help ? I'm also doing double leg calf raises but I realise I don't yet have sufficient strength for single calf raise. You story has nudged me to try calf raide in the pool...thank you...I'm seeing physio once per week - I found that I can do alot more after message - tendon leg is so much lighter and flexible...

• Posted

HI Emma. I'm also struggling with single calf raise on ATR side. I've been doing them by putting my hand son window cill at home and in office to take a bit of weight off - that really helps and I'm sure it's got stronger over the last week. Worth a go...

As for the ultrasound, I've never been convinced of the benefit, but my physio assures me that it helps the healing process. As long as it's doing no harm, I'm happy to hit this injury with everything I can smile

The pool is also great to just practice walking up and down without a limp and with your foot straigh ahead. I even managed to progress to a 'sort of' jog in the pool this morning which felt great...

• Posted

Hello Kristen - thanks for great tips. Yes I too am using the window sill to practice single heel raise. My physio says that the ability to do single calf raise is needed for jogging running later down the line.

Today I was walking in the pool, also tried walking on tip toes, and practiced single heel raise - the water certainly takes the weight off and allows at least the motion - it felt great.

• Posted

Hi Lori,

I had surgery on July 28th and this Thursday I will be 5 weeks post op.  Last Friday I finally got the cast taken off and am now in a walking boot.  Putting my foot down for the first time was surreal!  I was so glad not to have to hop around with that walker, ughh!

Right now I'm going through #3 - it doesn't lock but it hurts when walking.  I too wonder if its because of the boot.  On a happier note though, I took my first shower in almost 5 weeks!!!

Wishing all of us a speed recovery!

• Posted

So Dez now that you're in a walking boot are u still using crutches?

• Posted

Raven. I never had crutches - I was using a walker. When I was leaving the hospital they gave me the choice of taking the crutches or the walker (with wheels). After almost falling twice with the crutches, I took the walker.

I used the walker for 2 days after getting the boot but am now walking (albeit slow and with a limp) and am no longer using the walker. I have my 1st physical therapy appointment this coming Thursday.

• Posted

Considering u had surgery a day after me, it's interesting that you're not using crutches or a walker. My dr.said I have to use crutches or my scooter for 6 weeks in spite of wearing a boot. This boot and crutches are annoying for sure. Anxious to start pt.

• Posted

I'm not sure where you're located but I'm here in the U.S. and my surgeon told me that he wanted me to do 4 weeks of non weight bearing activities, which means that I couldn't walk on that foot at all, and then 4 weeks in the boot while starting physical therapy as soon as possible.  So far so good.  

Now, what I didn't mention was that I originally tore my tendon back in Oct of 2015.  My podiatrist said that I didn't need surgery and put me on the walking boot for 8 weeks.  Each week I went to the office to get ultra sound therapy.  He did not want me to do physical therapy which I thought was extrememly odd.  I didn't get any better in 8 weeks and ended up being out from my job a total of 4 1/2 months!  When I came back to work this April, before the end of the week I got that all too familiar pain in my heel.  I could NOT believe it.  Long story short, after a 2nd opinion and 2nd MRI it showed that the tear was worse than before.  My 2nd opinion referred me to my surgeon and the rest is history.  I just wish I had met my 2nd opinion doctor and the surgeon back when I first hurt it in October.  Oh well, hopefully now this will be it!

• Posted

Oh wow.sorry you had to go through that. I'm in the US also and my doctor said it wouldn't heal without surgery and I've been in the boot for a month pt pending. Well wishes on your continued recovery and thanks for responding smile

• Posted

I had my AT surgery August 22nd. I am in a cast for 3 weeks followed by a boot for 3 months all non weight bearing. It's driving me crazy! I have crutches and a walker but let's face it, it's just difficult to get around when you can't put any weight in your leg. I'm planning on going back to work next week but I'm not sure how that is going to work out 😏

• Posted

Donna August 22 and you're going back to work already? Wow.. My doctor said the only way I can return to work is if I can work from home with my foot propped up..best of luck smile

• Posted

I HAVE to go back! I work with autistic preschoolers too so it's going to be tough! I'm hoping to at least be able to prop my foot up some throughout the day. It's not going to be fun at all! 😩

• Posted

Oh wow..yeah that's going to be interesting. Keep us posted on how that's going. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.