Experiences with hydrodilatation?

Posted , 5 users are following.

For those who have had this procedure, (this is the one where they inject corticosteroid and saline and the idea is to stretch out the joint capsule and in some cases will also pop the capsule which is all the better), I am interested in hearing your experiences. My doctor does them and my therapist thinks it might be helpful for me. However, I'm reading very mixed reviews on degree of success. My questions for those who have had one: 1) Did it help your stiffness and ROM to a significant degree? 2) Did it help your overall pain? 3) In retrospect, would you do it again given your experience?

I have pain in general but not to the degree that others often describe. It does hurt at times and definitely more at night but I consider it manageable pain. It is the stiffness and loss of ROM that is very bothersome to me and the excrutiating pain when I inadvertently push it further than it wants to move.

I would really like to hear of experiences with this procedure. 

Thanks!

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

I had mine done last December and from 2 days after, I was out of pain and have gradualy regained 95% movement - the ROM wasn't instantaneous for me, though I believe it can be for some.  If it happened again in my other shoulder, I woudn't hesitate to have this treatment again.  You can read more detail of my procedure and progress on here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/hydrodilatation-my-experience-489438

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi there I had this, I was very frozen and in pain and it helped massively with the pain but not so much with the rom. It hurts a bit to have it but I would definitely recommend it as it really helped me. I ended up having surgery and I am going back for another hydrodilatation next week, which I am very hopeful will be the final thing that sorts me out. So In Short yes I would have it.
  • Posted

Xiaplex injections in my shoulder is a protien designed to desinagrate the collagen tissue in the facia area around the joint capsule. Two days later the doc manipulates the shoulder and Physio is ordered, that was 8 months ago and one have fil range of motion and no pain.

see online for more info.

• Posted

Thanks for the input. This pretty much correlates with the little I've read about this procedure/injection. Except for the times when I make the big mistake of inadvertently pushing my arm past its current ROM, which is indeed shockingly painful, my pain otherwise is very manageable so I'm not sure if the hydrodilatation is worth it for me. I definitely am not interested in anything more invasive than that so I might just wait it out. I think the bottom line is you just really can't rush a FS.

Thanks again for the input and always happy to hear from others as well.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

I had it done and for me it was soooooo painful the Dr said my capsule must be really tight because they could only put in 3ml instead of 20ml, it didn't help a bit so I had surgery which was less painful than the injection and I'd never do it again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.