i have prolapsed disc, pain in upper outer thigh all of the time.

Posted , 4 users are following.

cant sleep with the pain, worse going up and down stairs, have had prolapsed disc for 5 years any suggestions, i have been subscribed tramadol, nortriptalin, many thanks.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have tried Rieki it worked on me i would reconmmend it give it a try you never know. good luck if you go ahead and try it. 
  • Posted

Hi Kieran,

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. It sounds similar to my experience. I had a bulging disk at L2-3 for years and finally it herniated. Once it herniated, my pain got horrible going up and down stairs and made sleeping impossible. The front and outer thigh were completely numb. Once the pain became intractable, I had to go in for emergency surgery as the disc had herniated into the lateral nerve roots. 

Have you had a recent MRI? It could be that your prolapse has actually turned into a herniation. I tried all sorts of alternative medicine as well as traditional Western (epidurals, phisiotherapy, etc). It only got worse and risked permanent nerve damage. 

I just recommend staying on top of it - make sure you can get an updated MRI and get with a pain management doctor. I'm not sure if you are in the US or where you are, so I'm not sure what's available to you. In the meantime, you might try using pillows to elevate yourself depending on what disc is causing you problems. Also, using a heatpad and alternating with ice (I alternated immediately one after the other at night). Can your doctor give you muscle relaxers? If you are having nerve pain, Gabapentin might help. I've herniated for the 3rd time and now waiting for a fusion. If I don't use my Tramadol, Gabapentin, Xanaflex and Baclofen, I can't sleep more than 10 minutes at a time or stand. Keep us updated. 

• Posted

I think match maiden has given you good advice. I have been on this journey for years finally had to have fusion could no longer walk etc. after fusion and Dow the road a ways ended up w ,ugh pain and had every procedure known to man. I have nerve damage due to injuries, fusion and hysterectomy surgeries. They all mess w back bone issues. So most important go to the professionals that deal w these issues and are trained and have knowledge of all choices etc. Pain management is where I suggest you Ho. They will know how to test you etc. Educate yourself and do not ignore this problem, it can end up altering your whole life. Be on top of this so you have best chance for a better outcome. Good luck! 
  • Posted

Have you thought about seeing a good ortho surgeon? 5 years in pain is too long without addressing this a little further. You can end up with more problems by putting off proper treatment.
  • Posted

Kieran,

Pick a good orthopedic surgeon. If you need reference of reputable doctors that is easy to obtain. Make a decision that you want to break the cycle of being in pain all the time. You can create more damage by postponing the inevitable. If you stay in the pain management end of the spectrum of Healthcare you are only denying yourself full recovery and optimal health. Back injuries can altar your life when not treated in the right arena. You are looking for answers. That is the first step. Now take the next step and seek a good surgeon. Where are you from? Avoid the quick fix guys who promise the "go home with just a bandaid" approach. The best approach is to find an ortho/neuro spine teams and interview them while they interview you so that you can find a good match.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.