Nausea only every single day. Is it my gallbladder!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've always had IBS for around 14 years. Off and on nausea through those years. This time I'm going on month 4 with nausea. I can't stand it anymore and am losing my marbles. I've had an ultrasound, CT scan of abdomen and pelvis, gastric emptying test, and an endoscope I also had a HIDA scan that was 21%. The HIDA scan was the only test where there was something wrong. My family doc sent me to a surgeon and he says I need my gallbladder removed. Is this gonna get rid of my nausea?

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Cathycat,

Nausea is one of the symptoms of gallbladder disease.  I am sorry to learn that you have to deal with IBS, too.  

If you have a diseased gallbladder, which the HIDA scan revealed, it's best not to keep a diseased organ in your body. 

Best of luck and let us know how you do!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I have surgery scheduled for this Friday. Just confused since I only have nausea. The nausea is soooooo bad. It's 24/7. Been taking Zofran but it doesn't make it go away. I went to two surgeons and one said no, not to get it out, and the other said yes, it needs to be taken out. It's the only test that came out negative. Just worried it won't make the nausea go away and that I will create another problem from taking it out. Again, thanks for replying. I will let you know how it goes.

• Posted

I'm 6 days post op! I'm was in your exact situation!!! My HIDA was 21% also! Wow I feel so much better! The only complaint I have is that I can't do much physical activity now that I feel so much better and want to resume a normal life!! I've already eaten solid food with no problems. I have my appetite and energy back! I'm so happy I had the surgery! No more nausea! No more pain! I would recommend it! Good Luck!

• Posted

Oh and I also take a probiotic and multivitamin that I feel helps me! I can eat most foods without running to the bathroom which seems to be a problem for a lot of post op people
    • Posted

So nice to wake up and read your comment. Nausea is the worst thing ever. Especially, when it's 24/7. I don't think I'd want a gallbladder attack though. My surgery is Friday. I keep wondering if I'm gonna have an attack before then. I will ask my surgeon about the probiotic and vitamins. Which do you take? Again, it was so nice to read your comment. Thank you so much. Feel better soon!

• Posted

I actually had to quit working because of my 24/7 nausea and migraines. I feel so much better now! I take Centrum Multi Vitamin and Phillips Colon Health Probiotic. Also take a stool softener (I use generic brand) while you are taking the pain meds after because they will back you up. The first 3 days I ate broth, jello, and crackers. On day 4 I went out to eat and ate soup, breadsticks, bruschetta, and a few bites of pasta. I was so happy I didn't have to go running to a bathroom as I had anxiety about this. Just watch what you eat to see what you can handle. So far I can't have coffee or peppers. I found that Crystal Light in my water makes me nauseous still. Your body will tell you, just watch closely and don't push or over do it. Let me know if you have any more questions. Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi. I need to go out and get crackers, broth and jello. The only thing I eat now is maybe four pieces of toast a day. I lost almost 20 pounds. I used to be very active working out at the gym and cycling at the park some 20 miles. It's so depressing. I pray that this low functioning gallbladder is my problem. I rarely leave the house and last time I left for the docs I had spider webs on my mirrors. I can't remember the last time I laughed and was happy. Thanks for the info. I really do appreciate eat. Glad you are feeling better. I am next.

• Posted

Definitely get some stool softeners too. Drink lots of water. And the best advice I had was to have a little pillow with me at home. Push it on your stomach if you need to cough or move as your muscles will be sore. The worst post op part is the gas they pump in your stomach. It will hurt from being trapped. They say walking helps but it hurt so much so I laid in bed and tried to lean side to side and raise my knees to my chest until it came out. You should feel so much better by day 3. I'm also very active and not overweight. I'm so happy with how much better I feel! I just want to heal so I can go out and do things again. I feel so energetic now and I'm exactly one week post op. I've also have a crazy appetite, probably because I've barely been able to eat for months, so I'm trying to control myself lol. Dont be scared to try solid food after a few days, just don't go crazy like fried, dairy, or super fatty foods. Let us know how it goes!

• Posted

Thank you Amanda! I just love your positive attitude. I wish I could just put you in my pocket and have you with me all the time. Thank you for all your info. I will let you know how it goes! You sound like you are almost there. So happy for you!
    • Posted

You're welcome! Best of Luck! You're going to do great and you'll be glad you had it done!

• Posted

Raising my hand with nausea being my main issue. It was 24/7 before I realized that I cannot eat any fats. My gallbladder function was 19%. Since I have cut all fats out nausea is still there just not as intense. I just had autotransplant of my left kidney 9 weeks ago and do not want more surgery. But I have suffered with nausea for 2+ years and I finally have an answer. I really thought it was all due to stress of dealing with my rare vascular conditions. Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted!! My appt with surgeon is next Tuesday
    • Posted

I, too, thought my nausea was from stress. I started seeing a counselor. I haven't been able to go see her cause my nausea. So I believe my nausea is causing stress. Each time I went to see my counselor all we would talk about is my nausea. Just a visous circle. Sometimes I feel my nausea is cause my stomach is empty but I can't eat cause I'm nausus. I can't do this anymore. It's just horrible. I will let you know how I feel after surgery on Friday. Take care and hang in there. Sounds like you are on your way through wellness. Be strong.

• Posted

Cathy, praying for you and please keep me

Posted!!!!!! It is a viscous cycle. Yours is almost over!!🙏🏻

• Posted

I agree about Amanda!! Your like a bright ray of sunshine!!
    • Posted

Heather, so nice to hear some positive info from Amanda. My husband was ready to rip my phone out of my hands. I kept googling and found so much scary stories. I haven't slept good in four months. So much anxiety from nausea. Good luck with your surgeon next Tuesday and let us know what he says. I will let you know how I feel after my surgery on Friday. I wish my husband could magically take me to the hospital on Friday while I am asleep and I'd wake up all better. Prayers being said for you also.

• Posted

thanks for the prayers !! I'll take them!! Again you'll be fine on Friday. Please update when you can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.