Morphine and tramadol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I take 100mg morphine a day and 100mg of tramadol at night

These have been prescribed by my doctor. I've been reading other posts by people who say that this is too much or dangerous to your health. Every medicine has some side effects and some people experience more than others. My question is whether taking these medicines are helping us with the pain or not, and what alternative is there?? 😁

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Assuming that you are taking a single 100mg extended release dose, that is not a large amount of morphine. Your doctor is probably thinking that tramadol is very safe, as that's how it was marketed when it first came out, and is using it to give you a regular break from the morphine. Great idea, except that it has since been proven that tramadol is as dangerous as any other opioid, and even more so for some sensitive people. Some prescribers didn't "get the memo". Make sure that yours did.

Also, make sure your doctor is aware of tramadol's effects on serotonin, especially if you are on any other SSRI type drugs. Morphine can add to the effects of serotonin toxicity (serotonin syndrome), so you should be especially careful. Personally, I would request a replacement for the tramadol, even though you may be fine with it. I just don't believe in monkeying around with one's serotonin levels without good reason.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and as you say the morphine is the slow release one. I have been told by my doctor who said that the tramadol isn't very good and I should not take any more than I'm prescribed. You mentioned serotonin and I take flueoxeitin? Spelling was never my strong point 🙏 prozac, does this contain serotonin? I don't feel that this medicine is really dealing with my moods.

• Posted

Although tramadol is a single drug, it has dual effects. It acts as a SSRI, like Prozac, Paxil, and many other antidepressants. And it isn't just SSRIs that can cause problems. Tricyclic antidepressants, methamphetamine, MDMA, triptans (migraine meds like Zomig, Maxalt, and Imitrex),  buspirone (Buspar), and even St John's wort should be used with caution, or just avoided.

Serotonin is a nuturally occurring neurotransmitter, which we all have. After a nerve releases it into a synapse, SSRIs block the re-uptake of it, leaving it in the synapse where it can keep working. (This is supposed to make you feel better, relieving depression.) But if you keep too much of it in your synapses, you've got trouble (serotonin syndrome). You overdose on your own chemicals. So, any drug that adds to the re-uptake blockage, or causes an unnaturally large release of serotonin in the first place, should not be taken with other drugs that can do these things. At least not without taking care and caution.

Also, since tramadol can have a strong SSRI effect on some people, if they become addicted to the opioid properties they can have a harder time stopping the drug. Think about it, you would have typical opioid withdrawal and be feeling horrible from having less serotonin than you are used to.

• Posted

I take 50mgs between 2 or 3 times a day and 15mg of morphine 2 times a day i also have a novication patch i only used 2 times. The doses you take are a bit high, but i also dnt know y and what its for. Mine are bcuz of a scooter accident i was ran over, i also have a MRI to show my spine is pintching my nerves so they give me balchen and mortin 800. I dnt like 2 take the motrin pills kill the lining of your stoach specially motrin so my pain management only gives me 60 of them but if u can get some balchen it would help lower your doeses but plz get them to wean you properly it can cause bad results even sezuires that i get now from overload of phyic meds n mixing the wrong ones n my mom being a mom & trying to help me. Good luck I hope this helped you a bit if you need any help on talking to your doctor i can try & give you a bit of help really good @ that stuff....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.