4 weeks post op for bunionectomy and metartarsal surgery..elevation is the key.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am post op week 4. Have been looking on the internet for discussions to make sure I am normal smile and found this.  1st week was pretty much elevate,elevate..ignore the state of the place..run out of spoons..who cares :P 2nd week tried to do a few things but for about 5 minutes and back to elevate..healing is taking time and frustrating at times. Can now just about feel the tip of my toes, but my tendon and the top of my foot is very painful as is my ankle..and of course the scars on the side of my foot and the top..but getting there..patience and total slow down of life is new, but time..elevate,gentle exercise so no ceasing up and dont overdo things..Just my personal point smile

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You are dead right Sami.  I am 2 weeks post op for the same thing and have been elevating 95% of that time. Not too much pain but now wanting to move around more and finding my foot a bit more painful. Ice helps a lot, and the thought of being able to go out for a short car trip but it's a long recovery I fear. I can't imagine putting my foot down. Massive ouch!!! Another good source of information is a site on Facebook, I survived a bunionectomy. Very supportive group. Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

I dont dare put my foot down yet. I have a heel boot, and until I am told otherwise will not be putting any pressure on the front of my foot. I didnt use any ice, Once I had my bandages off I was allowed to get my foot wet for a few minutes..which felt so nice!the smallest things make me excited now lol. I got taken out in the car when I was 2 weeks I think..was just nice to look at other things rather than 4 walls..Good luck..just keep up the elevation.
  • Posted

Totally agree with this

i am 12 weeks post op and elevated all of first 2 weeks and 

then gradually more moving about

no swelling and no pain so well worth it 

still elevate a lot too ( got used to it now) ha ha

• Posted

Elevate still because of the pressure feeling? or because you still have some swelling? I elevate it most of the time 4 weeks post op today..I get plenty of excercise in a frustrating way lol Boot off..Bandage off..Foot up..remember I left something somewhere  I need 5 minutes later..Bandage on..Boot on..Get crutches..find item...Repeat! lol its good for the stomach muscles I keep telling myself that anyway.
  • Posted

Hello everyone

I'm 16 currently. I have had five different bunion surgeries starting when I was 12, and now there maybe two more coming up in the near future. Can anyone suggest something to decrease the pain while coming out of anesthesia? I've had 2-3 surgeries where the nurses were delayed on giving me pain medication, and the pain was unbearable. Having a little anxiety about going back to have two more done since the other surgeries haven't worked.

• Posted

Also,thank you for sharing your story
    • Posted

Thats alot of surgeries you poor thing. I would think the sites they are operating on are still tender so maybe your pain is a bit more..not sure..I am no doctor. Maybe now you are older they may give you a stronger pain killer or higher dose..You would have to tell your surgeon your worries and I am sure they will help.
  • Posted

This is what I have resorted to..replying to myself lol I would just like to add and dont know how to on my post. Make sure anything you need is nearby..I used a small kitchen veg trolley on wheels and put my medication in that..letters I needed to hand if I needed to call anyone..lucozade..water..sweets..wipes,spare charger erm pretty much everything I kept needing and having to move again for it. Also if you get to a place to grab something think if you need anything else while your there, save having to go back 5 minutes later..it gets tiring just doing simple things and needing a rest. I also bought an elevation pillow from ebay, that was much needed and still use it every day..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.