Ultrasound results, understanding

Posted , 6 users are following.

Here are my results I went in cause I have been having a dull ache underneath my right rib cage. Pain has not been extreme or anything just something I brought up during a physical.

" Echogenic liver differential includes hepatic steatosis and hepatocellular disease. Probable focal fatty sparing in the caudate lobe."

Can someone put this to a level I can understand

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have a mild discomfort under my right rib and last year i had a scan for what i thought was gallstones but no gallstones found BUT i have a liver cyst and a fatty liver so now i have LFT's done every 6 months to make sure my liver is working OK.  My fatty liver is not due to alcohol but i also have Type 2 diabetes so i guess it's just part of that in some people who are overweight.  I am now losing weight and excercising to try and improve both conditions.

What have your doctors said about this report?  are they going to do further testing?

• Posted

I'm going to see a girl, my liver blood work was normal, she asked if if the dull ache was still there I said yes so that's when she referred me to a gi. It just seems so weird that I get this type of result and there is not urgency or anything

• Posted

Discuss your report when you have your appointment and write down questions you want to ask.  I may be wrong but sounds like you have fatty liver (like me, found last year).  I will try and post my report later. 
    • Posted

Did you have pain on the right upper side blow rib cage? Kinda feels like a mucsel ache but internal
    • Posted

Yes and i still have it and also a mild discomfort around my right shoulder blade at the back, that's why i had a scan because originally i thought i had gallstones but on the scan it showed my pancreas and gallbladder were Ok but they found a liver cyst and fatty liver.  The discomfort i feel under my right shoulder blade feels muscular, it's as though something is pressing on it.  Might ask doctors for another scan but at the moment apart from having my LFT's every 6 months, that's it really.  I would advise you to just discuss your report and get whoever to explain everything to you as to what it all means.

• Posted

My liver blood work came out normal and I get result like this and no one cares, gi appointment not until 2 months from now
    • Posted

I don't think it's a case no one cares, the fact you have an appointment in 2 months time indicates it's not urgent but you need to know exactly what your results mean and what they suggest you can do about it.   Do keep us posted on how you get on. 

• Posted

Hi hope you dont mind me asking but how do you get a proper liver test as ive asked at the doctors and they just give me blood test, ive been in now about 4 times with an ache as you describe right side of my body under rib and the doc says its muscle pain but im not convinced ive had it for over a year now, does yours hurt more if u bend over slightly or twist? also when its cold outside i can feel it worse does that happen to you?
    • Posted

No, it more like a steady dull ache no matter how I move in the same spot
  • Posted

I had the same kind of dull pain under my right rib cage and also on the back. My Doctor said it could be gall stone but i insisted on getting ultra sound done. Result showed I have fatty liver, he said just change yr diet and you will be fine. It continued hurt so I did research on my own and came up with some home remedies. Now I take 3 table spoon of lime juice in half a glass of luke warm water first thing in the morning and half a clove of raw garlic in a toast at night. I feel much better now except for dull ache once in a while when I eat fatty food like pork or greasy food. Good Luck with your treatment. 
    • Posted

Hope you don't mind me asking but do you have weight to lose?  I have a lot of weight to shed as I too have fatty liver.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.