Pain in back & lower abdomen

Posted , 4 users are following.

Bit of a history, 3 ops to remove dermoid ovarian cysts, gall bladder removed, appendectomy, ectopic pregnancy.

Was diagnosed with a UTI 3 weeks ago. After 4 lots of antibiotics it is now clear from urine test, however since about day 8 the pain increased in my back and started in my lower left abdomen. The abdomen becomes swollen.

Bloods are all fine, x ray showed no kidney stones. Having an ultrasound for pelvic, abdomen and renal on Monday morning.

I am finding it really hard to control the pain since stopping 15mg codeine phosphate 5 days ago. They made me constipated which didn't help the situation.

Any advice on pain relief would be great.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I do not know how to help you but did not to have no response to your pin. I think you should call your Dr. They might have suggestions for you. So sorry you are hurting so much. It does take the energy out of you! Best of luck and I am sending a hug!
  • Posted

So sorry about your painsad I know about chasing sources of pain and it can be not only physically devastating, but psychologically it takes its toll also. I know you are trying to just get by until your tests and needing pain control until that happens (and they get a report and go from there). Meanwhile, you are in agony.

I have a few thoughts about pain control. Since the codine was working except constipation, have you thought about using

a really good laxative, then start it again while taking a stool softener AND Miralax or Citrucel? Also upping your soluble fiber intake? had a similar situation and constipation makes the pain so much worse in those areas, but decent pain relievers make us constipated. I had to switch to Tramadol (among other meds) since I have chronic pain now and opiates started causing other problems that I couldn't

manage.

I hope you are able to find relief and also able to identify the cause of your pain. Best of luck and well wishes.

Rebecca

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

If my scans show nothing wrong, then I will have a wait to see if i have adhesion so have no alternative to try the codeine again. 

The pain is not too bad if I am standing or lying straight, but I work as a cleaner and the bending makes it worse. it almost feels as though I am trapping things together inside and things are pulling.

It does take it toll on you psychologically. I am not normally an ill person unless it is something that needs doing. I work for myself so cannot and do not take time off work

• Posted

Amanda,

It must be very difficult going through this, but doing the physical work you do must make it even more so. Sometimes the ultrasound can show things going on in the colon...I assumed you were getting a transvaginal ultrasound though. I had really bad diverticulitis and it wasn't found with the ultrasound, it was found by a colonoscopy I had done a few weeks after.

Let us know how it goes. Take care and warm wishes.

Rebecca

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

I am having an ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound as well. The works! 

I don't really want a colonoscopy as after all my other ops my bowel is stuck to my pelvis, my ovaries are also also stuck. I suspect this is why I have pain.

Adhesions can't be seen with any test though, I would need a laparoscopy for that/

Had a reasonable day yesterday with pain. I started taking Advil

• Posted

You mentioned you were constipated. Are you absolutely sure you've cleaned yourself out. Having an impacted colon can be extremely painful and has the symptoms you are describing.

• Posted

I was prescribed Movicol (I am in the UK) I was told to use it once. However I used for 2 nights in a row and since then have been normally.

Initially the doc thought this was my problem. I am presuming the ultrasound will show this up if there is a problem. i don't believe so.

• Posted

It would definitely show up on an ultrasound. I'm sorry that's not the answer because that would be an easy fix. Well I hope they do find a problem soon and that they have an easy fix for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.