best consultant in cheshire/north staffordshire area for barretts

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been seeing a gastroenterologist who specializes in hepatics. I was  diagnosed with barretts 18 months ago.

I am struggling to control my reflux at the moment despite trying all the PPI's and all natural alternatives _ the PPI's seem to make my reflux worse and give me very bad headaches 

I saw my consultant last week and I am due another endoscopy in 3 weeks to see what is causing this flare up

He has mentioned the possibility of surgery which I am very scared to have.

I have 2 questions to all of you fellow sufferers

- I think I would feel more confident if I could talk to a gastroenterologist who specializes in barretts - does anyone know of one in my area?

- also has anyone who has struggled to obtain relief from medication found a successful combination of meds

Thank you for reading my post

Sandy

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I live in th Middle East so cant help yu with gastro. I was diagnosed with GERD and Barretts about 16 months ago I was prescribed pariet, Fixit and domeperidone (x2 daily..pariet and domperidone half an hour before breakfast and also dinner) and gaviscon Advance at bed bedtime..however I found that half an hour before breakfast caused me burning in my stomach so i took the meds a few minutes before breakfast and before dinner) Fixit..was taken after meals. the meds worked almost immediately ..On a follow up endoscopy 3 months i was taken off all meds (by a different gastro)as the Barretss was negligible....that was last september ...all went fine for a few months and now my initital symptons are returning (severe chest pains which radiate into my back and tightness/pressure of chest)

?I am considering returning to the gastro....but i am reluctant to start the medication route again. sad

• Posted

Sorry to hear your symptoms have returned. I also get the chest pains that radiate into my back

For the first time in ages I have had a symptom free day 

i just wish I could work out what it is that I have done differently

hope you get sorted soon

sandy

• Posted

Hi. I can really empathise. I also have Barrett's which although small needs to be treated with PPis. They are not working for me. As I have reflux in my upper oesophagus a constant feeling of pressure/something stuck in throat. My only relief is to eat. I've also been given ranitidine and regularly glug down the gaviscon. I don't know what to do for the best. Surgery has been suggested but I want to avoid this as knowing my luck it wouldn't cure the problem. Sorry I can't give u any top tips but your not alone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.