Shingles and Nausea?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Would anyone know what is normal for Nausea symptoms with Shingles.I am now on week 2.5 with Shingles on sternum and today I had intense nausea once again...it comes and goes...is this normal at week 2.5 to still have these symptoms. Finished antivirals 3 days ago. I am 45 and healthy before this Shingles challenge.

My sympathay to all the shingles sufferes out there..it is a nasty things to have..but I always say..it could be worse..

Thanks and have a great day

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you are having nausea in addition to the Dreadful pain and rash symptoms of shingles; that's way more than enough. If you mean vomiting, then no, fortunately I haven't. I'm 61, have been fit and healthy until my shingles came on my face in early July. I started the anti viral 1 day after the first sign of rash and that cleared up in a week. Since then, I've had epic nerve pain on my forehead and eye lid. That seems about 90% better now but a troubling fatigue has set in. What I've gathered is that shingles is unpredictable., My primary care physician acts dumb about anything other than the standard line that you can find on a cursory search at Mayo clinic, etc. Do rest all you can and manage stress beyond what you do normally til you're well out of the woods. I hope you get better real soon. Don't let yourself get dehydrated.

• Posted

Hi David and Rob,  I dont think there is any pain  level high enough to describe the pain from shingles,  I would rather give birth over and over again than have the pain the shingles gives out  and I am 62, (OK  smile) im not pregnant, but why is it that you can take meds in pregnancy that helps with pain, but there is nothing for us shingle sufferers.    I have had my pain for over a year ago, some days I can cope, and then some days  I cry and just want to stay in bed, with ice packs. and I thank God that my partner is no longer on this earth, as he would have not coped with my pain and crying.  I have had to take retirement 3 years early, because the pain makes mylife not worth living.

It seems that so many people suffer from this on the face, I count my self "LUCKY" that mine is under the bust area and around the back, up to my shoulder, yes mine can't be seen, but I find wearing a bra impossible, the moment you mention "shingles" or PHN  watch how many people back away - you find your self saying "ITS NOT CATCHING" tell them to look it up  its called PHN.  

We only have our selves who understands what we are going  thru .

• Posted

When I get up in the mornings I drink a cup of Lemon Ginger Tea. It helps to settle my nausea. I have tried at her things,but that seems to work best. The at her thing is a prescription called Promethazine 25 mg. It comes in pill form and liquid. The liquid is put on your wrist and rubbed in. I am not sure where you live,but in Oklahoma it is expensive. I paid 60$ for 5 syringes..,but it worked with in five minutes. The expense is why I went to something natural.For pain I do take a strong pain relief(as far as I know nothing really kills the pain)Demorol. I have tried everything that has bet thrown at me and I always suffer from side effects. I have heard that Turmeric Curcumin with Bio Perine 130mg is a natural pain relief.I haven't tried it yet,but I have ordered a bottle that was on sale through Amazon. I hopping that it will help in between dose of Demorol. We shall see. Bad thing about shingles is the pain can and has for me lasted up to four weeks after blisters. I also go through flu like symptoms before break out up to four or six weeks. Hopefully you can hang in there and best wishes. Unfortunately all of us here are in the same boat that has a slow leak, LOL A good sense of humor is a must or you will cry all the time and get depressed. It is hard to laugh when you have pain, yet it does seem to take your mind off it for a minute. I usually watch a lot of comedy shows or movies. Jmac

• Posted

Rob,

It certainly is common for some individuals to experience nausea with shingles. I am sorry you have this problem, as well as the severe pain. If it persists, I suggest you call your physician for an antiemetic.

I hope the nausea and pain soon subsides completely. This is no way to live, for any of us.

Best wishes.

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.