I HAVE A LiFE BUT

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a life a beautiful one in fact ..blessed with two great adult kids and a granddaughter.....but I feel empty and alone ...bipolar ...but constant low mood one high in July....this illness is hard to bare at times .....my mood was unbearable throughout August but I got through it...its the getting through it that's hard....referred back to psychiatrist hope they can tweek my meds ....

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You're doing the right thing.  I've had to go back to my psychiatrist a number of times to have my meds tweaked, and sometimes increasing dosages and sometimes replacing with different, or adding aditional.  Dealing with depresion and irritability seem to be never ending battles for me; however, thankfully there have been long periods of blessed calmess and stability. 

One thing I added that was very helpful was to see a psychologust (who was recommended by my psyciatrist) for cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  One of the things she had me do, which sounded absolutely silly to me was get a small 6-inch mirror and set it up wherever I was sitting and frequently look into the mirror and smile.  That sounded so stupid to me and I resisted doing it but finally started doing it, and it helped out.  It wasn't the only thing that I did from the CBT that was helpful, but it was the most surprising thing, because it was fake smiling.  I was smiling just because I had to, not because I felt it, but somehow it would make me feel a little better.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for replying......I use CBT constantly but never heard of using the mirror to make you put a smile on your face...i,m off to my handbag ....i,ll give it ago .....hope it helps ...i,m slowly on my way out of a deep depression....hopefully this new trick will bring on some well deserved calmness and stability as you say ....the thought of the mirror actually already has me smiling ....hope you're doing ok in yourself...x Maggs

• Posted

Two things about the smiling drill I mentioned. First, as I said it helped me a little bit; it wasn't a cure, but with bipolar, every bit helps.  Second, I don't think the mirror is absolutely necessary for the smiling drill.  I didn't ask, but I'm pretty sure they had me set up the mirror as a constant reminder to smile.  I think the smiling is the most important part.

• Posted

Certainly every bit helps ...day 2 no depression

....finding it very odd smiling but just think this helps Doug so be it ....

I have a lot of mirrors around the house so I,m trying to smile in each one .....the realisation is I don,t smile much ....never really gave it a thought until you mentioned the mirror...

• Posted

Hi maggs.

Hope your better now. 

I also suffer from bipolar type 1 disorder. For anything to work out you need problem identification to be done first only than can you work towards a solution. Because you have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder so the main hurdle has been overcome. 

Ill guide you thourgh a very easy solution which works for me consistently (take them as guide lines)

1. Be positive: In every difficult situation that you face look at the positive. For example you are going through a period of depression than you could imagine that after this cycle of depression a period of normalcy will come I will look forward to that etc.

2. Be resilient: The worst thing hit with bipolar disorder are our relationships with family and friends. Even when you falter and have a fight or disagreement of some sort with your close ones you need not feel hopeless and think that I can never get things done correctly. Instead focus that ok there has been a hiccup but I will remain focused will try again to get things right.

3. Medication: In bipolar disorder roughly 51% of the treatment is based on medication and 49% on management techniques. So you need to focus on both.

4. Excercise: In bipolar disorder there is a chemical imbalance which causes us to feel irritable, depressed, sad, hollow, numb for no apparent reason. What you can do is excercise. Make a routine of walking for 20 minutes in 3 or 4 rounds every day. By walking endorphins (pleasure producing elements in body) release which causes us to feel positive and happy. This takes care of the depressed feelings created by the chemical imbalance.

I hope you give these tips a try.

• Posted

Thanks for your positive in put.....i,ve been bipolar 7 years now so get where your coming from ....

Problem identification though ....do you mean situations that highten what ever mood .....

I have excellent support from my adults kids ...totally blessed...but they see my moods which is,nt easy for them

Meds are being changed start tomorrow...here's hoping ..they're trying to reduce my depressive states ..

Exercise ...wow tough when you're depressed but I get there most days New puppy ...kids thought she was a good idea ....so do I 😊....

Thanks again for your in put joined this site August when I was in despair really find it helps when people reply to my posts ...hope you're doing ok and thank you x

• Posted

maggs, i am just guessing that we may be around the same age as you mentioned adult children and a grandchild......  i am going through the same. i am depressed 75% of the time..  and it is different now. although i do at times get suicidal, i am at that horrible place where i just don;t care about things. i hate it.  i am beginning to worry if aging with the illness is worse, or if it is progressive. i am presently thinking that if this is as good as it gets, i am done......this is just so upsetting for me as i used to be able to do so many things and have so many friends. i isolate now and try to take all pressure off of myself. it is definely crippling my every day life.  good luck to you. hope your medication change helps. just wanted you to know you are not alone.....
    • Posted

Hi 56 and counting ....omg bi polar ouch ...i hate it ....but then I come out of the horrible horrendous depression and up I go ...6 days now .....

I do believe it gets worse ...with age ...well for me more anxiety especially with a little granddaughter of 3 .....trying so hard to keep my moods away from her so its tough fighting your mind especially when you are depressed.....i am isolated but great kids ...and granddaughter keep me positive ....they,re my little life savers ...

I know exactly where your coming from with the suicidal thoughts ....BUT....NO...for me just irrational thinking .....there is a life out there its just the battle we have with it ..

Do you not have CPN ...Psychiatrist....councillor...i have all three even after 7 years ....CPN fortnightly psychiatrist as and when monthly at the moment ..new meds.. .councillor weekly ....I was desperate in August so got all 3 now .....

Hey message me anytime its hell what you're going through but its bi polar and no quick fix we go to hell and back ...literally....

Take care the best you can ......x x

• Posted

thanks for the reply, and oh yes, we have all kinds of things in common. i can make it over to see my grandaughter and she just puts a smile on my face, but underneath is that underlying " ugh..."  look for me to message you. i would like to hear about your medications and such....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.