Bi-polar diagnosis tomorrow?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I am 16 years of age and have been suffering with many of the bipolar two symptoms for just under a year. I am finally going to my GP tomorrow after it's gotten out of control. I've heard it's very difficult to get a correct diagnosis and help as the doctor usually diagnoses you with depression. Obviously intend of explaining both my hyper symptoms and depression ones but I'm nervous I won't get the help I need. I've been diagnosed with depression before so I know what that's like and this is the same, but added with many different symptoms like, extreme happiness, lots of ideas and racing thoughts, a lot of self esteem, distractibility, irritable, wanting to get lots of things done and having a good conversation with somebody. I have tried counselling, CBT, writing and nothing holistically seems to work. I just hope my GP understands. Anyone got any tips? Thanks

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to here you have this illness too ...i always write down what I need to say ...I find this really helpful as you don,t get too long at your GP,s ....try a daily diary from previous days as you're seeing GP tomorrow ...here,s hoping ..Grandma Maggs x

• Posted

First thing, a GP can't and won't diagnose bipolar. Not ever. They will probably refer you to a psychiatrist for an assessment,which is the core thing to do. You should explain all your symptoms honestly, don't embellish or add anything you may have heard online. Yes it's a difficult diagnosis, because many of the symptoms are shared with general anxiety or depression - all the things you mention sound more like anxiety than bipolar. Counselling and cbt are not the same as therapy, so a referral to Psychotherapy is probably a good thing to ask for. Meds aren't essential,if you don't then stick with therapy. Cbt is a poor man's therapy, given first as it's cheap to deliver, but it seldom works long term

• Posted

I agree with maggs and jmcg. 

I would add that make sure you get a referral to a psychiatrist for a proper diagnosis and medical therapy if warranted.  Then ask your psychiatrist about psychotherapy.  I'm sure he or she will be aware of its benefits and will be able to provide you with names of some good therapists. 

Good luck, you are on the right track.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.