Posterior vs. Anterior would you do the same surgery again?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi all,

New to this site. I am 57 and in need of a THR. I am interested in which procedure you had and if you are happy with results, or wish you had done the other. I live an active lifestyle and am not overweight.

Thanks!

Kristen

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am extemely active and in pretty good shape, I had my first THR posterior in Jan 2013 and it was a great success.  I returned to work after 7 wks, and my job has a lot of bending and lifting.

I had my other hip done 7/25/16 (posterior), I expect to be back playing most of my sports at the end of October.  I was 53 for my 1st THR and I am 56 now.

Good Luck biggrin

• Posted

Thanks Rich,

Did you do cement or cement less? Glad to hear the positive feedback. May your recuperation continue!

Kristen

• Posted

I really do not know the answer to that question.  If I had to guess, I would say cement less.

I was in the hospital about 30 hrs with my most recent surgery.  I was driving 2 weeks after surgery, right hip.  I only took pain pills for 2 or 3 days post op.

I considered anterior approach but my first THR went so well, I thought it would be foolish to change surgeons/approach.

Have a great day !!!  cheesygrin

• Posted

HI Kristen I am 56 today, and had both hips replaced, I was very active at 40 and 45 I slowed down, but the damage was done, my hips wore out, but I feel I will never do Karate again, and running ...out of the question...but I can get about almost like normal and pretty much pain free, we are all different, depends how it goes for you.

Keep in touch.

Ian.

• Posted

Happy birthday Ian! Thanks for your feedback. Did you have posterior or anterior. Also cement or cement less? Looking forward to getting back to my golf game.

Kristen

• Posted

Hi Kirsten I had my THR two weeks today , first few days I was really down and couldn't do a lot , I have no bruising my scar is healing really well . And I'm now on one crutch . My legs are still swollen but Iv been told this is normal and will go . I most def have this done again as the pain I was in before operation was horrendous . Hope you get on ok .

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing well Chloe. Did you have the anterior or posterior? Also cement?

Kristen

• Posted

Kristen if u need it do it

It will dedication and time out of your life all worth it

I hobbled after work to my car and now at two months post op 3 miles walked no cane

There are complications and nerves are invloved

I had anterior in hospital two nites only good luck

• Posted

Thanks Jo,

I know I need to do this. It was seeing Lara Spencer, at 47, that encouraged me that quality of life is more important than the age factor. What are the nerve complications?

• Posted

Not everyone has any

But you sign forms reminding u there may be some

For me i can whip around now at two months no pain

I am watching both feet for some nerve stuff i had following surgery all the best to u

I like your idea as u will need time to focus on rehab

Me just got home early as hubby working late

Popoed a whole chicken in oven

Cleaning in kitchen

Get table set and rest time for jozie

• Posted

hi kristen, 

welcome to this wonderful forum -

I had 2 THR surgeries within 6 months, both posterior approach as my surgeon does not perform anterior - 

I am happy with the result - 

Where are you in the process?  Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon yet -

I  remember that there are members on this forum who had both - Hopefully they will read this discussion and respond.

Love to know more about you...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

WOW!

Thanks Renee, I've done PT and am scheduled to meet with my Surgeon next week. My plan is to do this at the beginning of 2017, when I know I have no commitments or pressure on my rehab.

Did you do a cemented THR or cement less?

Kristen

• Posted

Hi there I had poster approach 10weeks post

didn't have choice,butscar healing well no

bruising op much easier than I thought would

be it's the recovery where all the hard work starts

Still got some sort of pain and twingess going on

most days at moment but all part of healing I'm

told,but nothing like the pain we have before op

that's all gone that God .I wish you well and hugs

it's worth going though 😅😄

• Posted

Thanks Anna, glad to hear your surgery went well and you are making progress in your recuperation!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.