Mobility Allowance UK

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone on her been successful in obtaining PIP Mobility Allowance due to there hip conditions.   Just wondering as I have been refused and got told today that had I claimed DLA years ago it would have qualified.

Having worked with pain and discomfort, unable finally to continue it makes my blood boil then when I ask for help I get refused.   

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

I am not sure of your age (sorry to ask) but you will not be able to claim DLA or the new PIP, allowance if you are over 65 , but you should be able to apply for Attendance Allowance , which is for people over 65. It is not means tested & it doesn't matter how much money you have. It is just about how far your can walk, with or without mobi aids & also how much pain you are in on your worst day. Good luck. Worth a try a time claiming 

• Posted

I am 56 ys  Brindle... and have been through 6 months fighting DWP over mobility.   Still nothing... I have been unable to walk any further than 100m for several years, 10 in fact but carried on working and getting through the pain as wanted not to claim benefits.   Wrong think because under the old system I would have got everything not this new system more for the Mental Capacity... so people if you have a brain do not bother. 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that Elaine. I would just keep reapplying, as you don't usually get this allowance first time. I had to go to a tribunal before I got mine. Would your Doctor help by writing a letter for you. The Citizens Advice might also help.

Just keep trying, as you sound like you should be entitled to it??

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

I got PIP for my hips eventually. I was first refused and then appealed that decision and went to a tribunal where I was awarded it (not the highest amount but it came to £50pw which was great) 

My advice is to source out your local welfare rights team usually attached to your local council/borough. They were great in helping me through the process filling the forms etc and they come to the tribunal hearing with you. 

The government's first action is to refuse everything at first pass just everyone out there keep that in mind. 

At the same time I had to fight for my ESA benefit which bizarrely was refused at tribunal level!! So one case said I was mobility impaired and the other (DWP) said I could work a 40hr week! I was told I couldn't appeal further on the ESA but I found out I could so started that process with vengeance!. They seemed to turnaround right away when I did that and re-awarded me it!

I know how you feel I have worked all my life since 16 and never used the system I paid into for for 40yrs and when I needed it they tried to avoid giving me everything.

It is very stressful especially when you are struggling with your health.

Please don't give up, find a welfare rights team to take your case on and help you... it's free (well it actually is not we pay our taxes for it!) but free at point of use shall we say.

I also applied and got a blue badge which was really helpful for me since my walking was so limited.

I don't know anything about your hip condition but I was refused a hip replacement (in reality due to NHS cuts) was told my hips weren't that bad so they wouldn't do them until I was 65!!!! I couldn't go that long barely being able to walk, not working and in all that pain. 

So...I had to fight for replacements too and went down the cross border healthcare route article 56. 

I got a proper diagnoses from a French surgeon. It turns out the NHS didn't do the proper tests on me (deliberately I suspect) and I was actually walking bone on bone, which I indeed felt! 

In May this year I got 2 new hips! They are fantastic!

Please ask away if you have any questions I am happy to answer if I can. There not not much I haven't gone through in the last two years as far as benefits/PIP and hip replacements so fire away! 

• Posted

Thank you, your life is a mirror of mine...I had to go out of area I live in Eastbourne and went to Mount Vernon Hospital in Middsx....part of the Hillingdon HA>   I was at the Tribunal today struggled there, they were okay and told me had I claimed DLA when I first started having problems rather than continue to work through the pain I would be okay for Mobility.... 

I am seeing red as you can imagine... I worked through many knee operations, and when my hips started in 2000 still worked until Nov 2015 when my company decided I could no longer do the role due to lack of movement.    

I am waiting to hear from my MP (Conservative sad) which hopefully will get me somewhere.  

If not our last MPLib Dem is still supportive and willing so I will contact him.   I have done lots of work with him over the years for other people cases....  

In March when I eventually got to see my Consultant after many years of fighting the system I finally got exrayed and in his works " your hips are stuffed and your knees are shagged".. at last someone knew why I could not walk, or do anything.   

The fight will go on... thank you

• Posted

It's so wrong that it is so variable depending on where you are i the country and the hospital that you go to.

It seems that pretty much every part of the process is a lottery, from getting a hip replaement, to what physiotherapy is available, if any.

• Posted

It is definately a lottery, have asked for an appointment with my MP ... she was most helpful before.   

I claimed for mobility but they gave me daily living just!! and 0 for mobility..... 

Why say if I had claimed DLA I would still get mobility.. I was working and supporting myself albeit in pain and discomfort.   I have at least 5 yrs recovery at the moment due to needing new knees and shoulder so no work for me..  I will hit 60 before I can work again... 

Trouble is if you do not know how to work the system you are the loser.. so many get everything for no apparent reason. 

• Posted

that is definitly a big problem with the system.  It can work so well, but it fails too often.
    • Posted

I was given the DLA line too! It's a smoke screen in my opinion!

How has the fact you historically didn't apply for DLA mean you are excluded from getting PIP today? Just because you were able to be stoic in the past does not mean your health has not deteriorated past the point of you coping, clearly losing you job eventually is evidence of the fact it got worse.

PIP is the system now in place and you fit the criteria by the sounds of it.. full stop.  What has gone before is irrelevant!!!

It makes my blood boil too, but the government is like any other crooked insurance policy..they take your money but then do everything to wriggle out of the policy they 'sold' you. 

You seem to have things under control the best you can and are bringing in the big guns. I hope they can put the pressure on in the right places to help you.

Remember to focus all you frustration directly towards the system and those that are paid to help you. It's can be a terrible toll on your physical and mental health being in constant battle mode.  Take time out mentally if you can and distract your brain to switch off for a few hours a day.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the medical treatment you need to help you long term. 

• Posted

what benefits you have previously had should make no difference.  There are criteria for each available benefit, as long as you meet them, then it is one you should be able to claim.

Unfortunately, some people at the DWP are less willing than others to adhere to the criteria, or over interpret the detail.

Knowing the call centres they are also very prone to just following a script and just answering questions, without providing additional helful information.

• Posted

I did get it and have been getting it 4 yrs plus.  I was walking with 2 sticks and had to wait that time for the op.  The lower rate.  I also got ESA.

Speak to an advocate or your local LEGAL ADVICE bureau.  Avoid Citizens Advice!!!!

• Posted

I am waiting to speak to my MP.... then I will go to an ex college of mine who is a Benefit advisor and was the person that told me to apply....  she did say it is a lottery but it should not be...  
  • Posted

I had and will have soon a lot of pressure to work.  I want to work but it was NHS who decided to let a healthy.relatively young person wait for years before they would operate.  Granted I had a few stones to lose but I had no other health problems at the time.  My job in all fairness to them kept me on for 2 years then gave up.  Think what I've cost the tax payers in benefits.  [Which I may add did not kick-in 'till I used up savings.]  Should write to my MP.  You've inspired me!

• Posted

I know that feeling... never claimed any thing until now and just fighting the system... have an appt now with MP on 4th November!!!! 
    • Posted

Interestingly, I've put on weight due to the hips, and thought about trying again to lose some before the OP. My consultant told me not to, as reserach is now saying that as long as you are not morbidly obese and have no other health problems, being overweight actually reduces the risks of the surgery! They haven't quite figured out why, but quite a few studies have shown the same results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.