Epithelial Oesophagitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I'm clutching at straws really but thought I'd give it a go! My husband has epithelial Oesophagitis and I have been trying to find someone who also has this condition which is proving very difficult as it is extremely rare! Thanks in advance! X

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Far from being rare, epithelial oesophagitis (inflammation of the oesophageal epithelium) is acyuallt quite common. You haven't confused this with eosinophillic oesophagitis? (Medical terms are easily confused. )

The epithelium is the layer of cells lining an organ. In the oesophagus, frequent damage from refluxed acid ay cause inflammation (oesophagitis) and the cells may undergo metaplasia when they are replaced with columnar (acid protective) cells known as Barrett's Oesophagus.

Eosinophilic Oesophagitis on the other hand is not so well understood and a fairly recent discovery. It is caused by a build up of particular white blood cells (eosinophils) possibly from a food allergy. (We're not too sure about its genesis yet. ) For this reason , it's sometimes referred to as allergic oesophagitis. It causes swelling of the oesophagus causing swallowing difficulties and may require dilation of the oesophagus.

Because it is fairly rare, fairly newly described and not well understood, there's no easy treatments known apart from experimenting with diet in an attempt to find any particular food allergies.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply! Yes I have typed it in incorrectly for some reason! It is Eosinophilic oesophagitis that my husband has, I will try to change the title of my post. I think searching aimlessly on line for information has scrambled my brain! thank you
    • Posted

I can't seem to change the title of the post, how annoying!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.