Fibroids and hysterectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

After my second US I have a new fibroid growth near my cervix. I am postmenopausal. My gyno is suggesting a hysterectomy. I have had several episodes of bleeding in the last year. I am 43 and done with children. Has anyone else dealt with this. Right now I am numb.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephanie I have read your post and something has confused me.

I have been told that after the menopause fibroids shrink naturally due to the drop in Estrogen. So is this not true? Or do some people just not get a drop in Estogen I have 2 small fibroids and a large one which has just been shrunk and is was told that they can't grow when I hit the menopause.

• Posted

That is what my doctor said as well. They should be shrinking. This is is why I am scared.
    • Posted

Fibroids don't always shrink after the menopause, it is just thought they might.  I am post menopausal, have bled most days for 2 years now.  Had a fibroid removed this year, still bleeding.  Went to see my GP again, he suggested a mirena coil, but i don't want a coil as last time got an infection with one.  On Hrt, so might be that causing the continual bleeding, but really don't know any more, have an excessively thin endometrium which might be the casue due to very low estrogen levels.  Need hrt as without getting severe arthritis.

Bit fed up now as don't want any further surgery and so long as i don't get anaemic would rather remain as I am,  GP says my iron levels are fine,  Hope you get some help.

• Posted

Hello, yes I go through it every 3 months for 3 months I missed an appointment last week to have the discussion about have half my womb away. I get headaches, feel flat and low, bleed so heavy and I if do any house work im in so much pain. I hope you work IT all out homey x
  • Posted

Hi Stephanie in would also be asking the Gynocologist what I asked you it may aviod a surgery which is not necessary. Hope it all works out for you.
  • Posted

I to have fiberiods gone through menopause and recently had transvaginal scan and biopsy for spotting have a polyp that makes me bleed my consultant saw mine never mentioned a hysrectomy are you sure you want to go through with it until you have explored other alternatives thinking of you what ever you decide God bless xxx
  • Posted

Hi I still have several fibroids at age 58 and have occasional bleeding, but not periods any more. The fibroids have stopped me going through menopause properly, so in my case it is certainly not true that they shrink. I think they perpetuate themselves as they produce oestrogen, particularly in my case as I had around 10, some large some small.

?i don't think there is particular cause for worry just because you are post-menopausal, they can easily check for malignancy without putting you through surgery. Ask about alternative treatment such as Esmya or a 

UFE, although there is no need to rush into treatment if the fibroid is not causing too many problems.

• Posted

I am so thankful for this forum. I am not sure what I would do without it. On Tuesday I have a follow-up appointment with my gyno. I want to know why her first response was a hysterectomy. I am also setting an appointment for a second opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.