THL

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi I had left hip replacement on mon 19 sep I was just wondering when does the appetite come back and also when does the bowel movement return for it has been five days today this website is a god send for sometimes you feel really down but when you read other people's reviews and how well they are doing it really cheers you up and you become more positive

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Great common questions

Usually u have a bowel movement before u leave hospital

Check other posts very common issue

The appetite takes time

Read other posts many of us enjoyed soup or pudding protein shakes etc

I am at two months post op and rarely eat much dinner

Take each day with its changes and know great days will follow

Your body has been smacked hard

Rest each day

Exercise each day

Lots of fluids

Take it slow

Wishing you a great recovery🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭

Jozie

• Posted

It takes time... i started doing healthy shakes for breakfast... fresh fruit with natural yoghurt and coconut milk .. then some high fibre cereal mix... liquidized together... lots of goodness and a bowel mover!!!

Eat what you fancy... I love jacket potatoes so had those with different fillings, prawns, tuna, cheese... prawns & bacon mixed with cream...  

Oh and my chocolate cravings came back so back on that again now. 

• Posted

Those ideas sound pretty amazing, you inspired me for this week's meals. Thank you.

Big hugs

Linda

• Posted

Hi Debbie

you should get something for the constipation as soon as possible, as you need to get back to normal with bowel movements.   The appetite is something else, I lost 6 kg but needed it so quite pleased and now have a very small appetite indeed, keep leaving food  in restaurants. You just have to tempt  yourself by eating what ever are you really fancy even if it's chocolate. I am 12 weeks postop and still need to be tempted  to eat.

Regards dot

• Posted

Interesting dot i am starting out on week 9 and never eat munch dinner

I enjoy most paleo chicken nuts fruits protein fish

Then i make dinner but eat mine on tiny plate still but loosing some weight is lovely too

Keep me posted happy sat

Jozie

• Posted

hi debbie, 

I agree with previous comments - you are only 5 days post-op, darling -

There are many tips on how to get the bowels moving again and I am sure other members will post them -

Fortunately I had no problems in that department - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Your big warm hugs are always soo sweet u r a great lady

I can tell

Jozie

• Posted

For constipation get a stool softener .I had Dulcoease.Eat lots of fruit especially at bedtime eg peaches,pears,apples raspberries.Drink plenty of water.Its very early days.You will get better. Best Wishes Janet x
  • Posted

Hi Debbie, it will get better...Wow you are barely out of surgery....Have you been taking any fiber or docusate? These can help the bowel problem, which for me was absolutely miserable. I ended up having to take both combined. Once you are off of the strong pain meds that will help also. The appetitie will come back soon, at least for me it did. I think the strong medications from surgery cause food to taste bad and then along with the pain is hard to feel like eating. The first two weeks are the worst, and of course with the first week being more worse than the second. Hang in there and you will start to notice improvements. Don't get dicouraged if one day you are doing real well and the next you don't seem to be as good. That is normal for recovery from this surgery. Wishing you well....Barb

• Posted

Hi Debbie

if you are taking any codeine meds  then they are lethal for constipation. Take prune juice or dried prunes and apricots. Also slimma tea is very good and it has Senna in it but is very gentle. Eat plenty of fruit and veg as well and lots of water. Hope it helps - it did me.

• Posted

Morning Debbie. I took and am still taking a stool softener. Warm prune juice about 8 oz before bedtime is good too. With anesthesia and pain meds they do cause constipation. That's one thing you don't need! Prayers that you have a good recovery. Take it easy and listen to your body. Hugs, 🤗🤗. LD

• Posted

Look for stool softener. I find that better than the laxative. And prune juice will get u started. Of course with high fiber diet. Good luck! 🤓LD

• Posted

BM took me 5 days with a genlte laxative, Miralax, 2 big stool softeners and one huge fiber pill each day.  You appetite may take  a couple weeks to come back, try protien shakes to get your protein in. All the best! you can do this, you will be up and down then more ups!  xoxo Annette
    • Posted

U too also have such nice posts

A lovely lady i can tell

Happy weekend post op starting wk 9

Jozie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.