Cat allergies - Gah!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

So for the past 6/7 months I have suffered really badly with allergies. Constant sinus problems, mucus production, infections, breathing problems, dizziness (seen ear nose and throat twice). I am just congested 24/7, headaches everyday and havent been able to breath through my nose in ages!. I just feel ill, drained and physically exhausted from it constantly - I am only 25?!! All tests I have had always come back clear so I am confident it's allergies.

I am writing this at 4:30am as a new one, I now have sleep apnea been up 3/4 times already coughing up phlegm (nice sorry), I just can't breath properly when I lay down.

I have also had a bad bout of anxiety recently with panic attacks following a high stress event - that's a different story. I am dealing with it and getting help.

The problem is all my allergy symptoms are just getting blamed on "just anxiety".

I have paid for a private allergy test as I am sick of it, I couldn't accept it was hayfever or seasonal as I have never suffered this badly before. Found out I am highly allergic to cats in general, and my cat (took a hair sample for testing).

I live with my fiance of 6 years and she has recently bought a cat which I often complain about but again it's just anxiety speaking..

It never bothered me as badly as we use to live in a house and it was an outdoor cat (allergies were bad, but manageable) however we now live in a flat and the cat has become a house cat and I can't stand it!. As soon as I walk in, it's instant - congestion, coughing, shortness of breath etc. Mornings are dreadful as I just struggle to get up / out. Once i do, I clear up and get some energy back only to come home and have the cycle start again!

I have spoken to my partner about re-homing the cat (yes I feel horribly guilty about it) and she isn't prepared to do so. In her words, I sound like a broken record and need to stop worrying.

The problem is I have tried everything to help, prescribed antihistamines, hepa filters, cleaning products. Different litters, sprays, nothing eases the symptoms at all.

Apart from move out and split up over a cat (which I really don't want as I just couldn't be without her), I don't know what else to do. My work is suffering, my energy and mood because I am so drained and tired. Just sick of this congestion. It's not bloody anxiety!

My question is what health impacts am i putting myself at risk of by staying with this cat?

Are there any options at all if my partner isn't willing to remove it from the home? What would you do in my shoes?

Sorry if this is more of a rant. Frustrated beyond belief. I just want to sleep! sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

I have a zillions of allergies - including cat!!!! - and there was a time whenI had blocked nose 24/7, so I know it's not pic nic at all! It's exhausting, you can't work, you can't sleep, you can't focus on anything. 

So back to your question, despite what dorcors think, it can be a very serious disease, almost like asthma, or even worse, as asthma come and goes, but your allergy seems to stay 24/7. I'm also sick of Drs, prescribing antihistamines, nasal costeroid sprays for everyone who suffers from this dreadful thing.

Allergies are unpredictable, dipends on the person, it can disapear in no time when the trigger has gone, like pollen. But sometimes you can develop infections,, other allergies, so better to get rid of it as soon as you can.

So if you know that you are allergic to cats, the only thing you can do is get rid of the cat (or put him outside in an enclosure). 

There shouldn;t be a discussion about it, you are getting very ill from it, and if there is a very simple solution, well that's it, get rid of it. 

If your partner cannot understand it, well, maybe it's not such a great partnership.

There is nothing for cat allergies, antihistamies, ar sprays won't help you. And it's not for non stop use anyway.

My advice to you, make sure it is the cat which causing you the pain, move out for a while and see if it makes any difference. 

Even if you get rid of the cat, the cat hair will be their for a while, need a very thorough cleaning especially if you got carpet, plush furniture.

good luck!

'

• Posted

No doubt about it Thomas, I'd leave because if she's willing to put her own needs and the needs of a cat over yours, and to disbelieve you, she's selfish and doesn't care about you enough.

Perhaps if you threaten to leave or actually leave for a short time she'll realise that you're telling the truth and she'll learn how much she does or doesn't care about you. She might re-house the cat and if she doesn't you're better off finding someone who does care about you.

Just my opinion.

• Posted

i am allergic to cats ( and everything else in the world it seems!) but i found out that it was their dander that i was really .  i had cats with long hair. So.......  i shaved them. two of them.  at first i was upset, then i saw how much they loved being shaved. they would just run around and play and loved it. it really kept the hair and dander down and they were so cute. i would do it twice per year. i cleaned my sofas, carpeting, everything and got rid of all of the hair. it solved my problem for sure.....   just a suggestion......and the cats LOVED it....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.