Scheuremans and Schroth excercises

Posted , 2 users are following.

Anyone out there with Scheureman's doing Schroth method? We're in Western Canada but luckily found a local therapish certifie from Germany in doing this (well known at London Scholiosis SOS clincic) and hope for good results. We just started this special physio last week - all traditional physio attempts have just been painful - so far so good with this. Government (nor private) health care doesn't cover (recognize) this here yet. He's a 14yr old active boy with 70 degree kyphosis curve - been wearing a Milwauke brace 20-23 hrs/day for 8 months now.

Fingers crossed...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catherine!

We live in Saskatoon, where are you from? My 13 year old son has Scheuermann's and has a 70 degree kyphosis. We opted to go to Germany and get a 3D lower profile brace, and we are also going to Edmonton for Schroth therapy. I would love to be able to connect with you!

• Posted

Hi Lauren - and wow this is great - I've been looking for a year now to find someone in similar situation to ours. This brace your boy has sounds awesome - if my son was younger would consider that too but we're nearly fully grown now according to the Risser scale so we may start weaning off the brace in as soon as 6-12 months. He's been amazingly compliant and patient with the horrid thing.

His in-brace x-rays show it works while he's wearing it  - larger concern right now is what will happen as we wean off.

Have been doing the schroth excercises just over a month now - they do not hurt to do during nor after where regular physio was painfull for him.  Hard to say as yet if they're working for him well enough to expect positive change in the curve but the experience so far has been great - he is more "posturely aware" of his particular curve and feel empowered to be doing something positive to help his condition. I'm very surprised the experts we deal with at Stollery children's hospital don't "prescribe" these excercises. They are very helpful even in just undertanding the mechanics of what's going on with the spine and what the brace is and isn't doing for them. Even if it makes no difference to his curve at the end of the day the muscles supporting his spine (which has got lazy due to brace) will be super strong and ready to jump in and replace the brace in future.

The gal we see for Schroth is author of a wonderful research paper done at UofA last year studying the effects of these excercises with the more prevalenty scholiosis. She is confident that Scheureman's patients can enjoy similar benefits.

Let's keep in touch and maybe even meet up when you're Edmonton.

?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.