18 week Referral Pathway

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone know if the 18 week waiting time start from the day the Consultant agrees to do surgery and puts you on his waiting list. Or is it from the date of the pre-op?

I asked at pre-op last week and they told me there was a 4-5 month wait yet when I went for the ECG part of pre-op they told me it was only valid for 11 weeks and I need to chase it up.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I thought it was from the date you were told by the surgeon that a THR was recommended and the NHS website seems to confirm that. Check with your GP perhaps?
  • Posted

The 18 weeks is from the date your GP refers you and the hospital get the referral.

Google it. 

Talk to the hospital if there is this lenghty delay, and they cannot see you sooner, you can complain to your local CCG and if they feel it is too long then thye will arrange treatment elsewhere (usually private hosptial).

• Posted

Hello dalmation.

I had my consultant appointment on Tuesday July 4th, and noticed the documentation said 18 weeks. My consultant said the op would be in a couple of months. I had my pre-op appointment on Wednesday August 3rd and my hip replacement on Auguat 17th. I opted for a private hospital as an NHS patient as the food is much better and parking for visitors much better too. Both are within 2 miles of my home.

All in all from initial consultation to operation was 6 weeks 2 days.

The care I received was excellent and I was discharged fro follow up at 5 weeks. I worked in the NHS for 48 years so knew patients' food available in my local hospital was grim as was the the parking for visitors. My friend, who opted for the NHS hospital, waited 15 weeks from consultation in April to operation.

I am walking without crutches and had my left hip done at the same private hospital 3 years ago. I plan to start driving next week.

From start to finish my care was faultless at both hospitals.

I wish you the same, together with an uneventful operation and speedy recovery.

best wishes

Liz

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies. Yes I thought myself it was from the date I went on waiting list. I'm thinking I maybe mis-heard the reply at my pre-op as hospitals in general send me into panic mode.

I had my first hip replaced October 2015 so I'm hoping when this next one is done my mobility will be so much better.

Previous stay in hospital was good all things considered. Yes food was not brilliant but I worked on the theory I didnt have to go and do the supermarket shop for it, I didn't have to stand and cook it and i didn't have to do the washing up after and at the end of the day I was only in for 3 days and I was just so grateful for the help and care the staff provided.

Now I find myself at the start of the whole procedure again.

Not sure if it's better this time round knowing what to expect or if last time round it was better to be ignorant of what was going to happen.

Best of luck to everyone going through this procedure in the coming months.

This forum I have found to be invaluable in the help and advice it gives out at the press of a button

• Posted

When the Dr at the hospital told at my 12 week check for my right hip the left hip would have to be done in about 2 years, my reaction was arghhhhh.

Then at 13 weeks walking so well, husband coudn;t believe I was doing so well, and so pleased with myself, I tore the cartledge in the left hip knew exactly what had happend, like a craving knife in my groin, oucchhhh.

Same surgeon who had done my first surgery saw me after a referal from my GP at about 12 weeks after the torn cartledge, by that time the pain had lessened, he said that confirmed cartlege rather than muscle.

He ordered up an x-ray and compared it to my post surgery x-ray, and said I can see the difference, I am going to put you on the surgery list, non-urgent.

7 months later surgery done, best thing ever, a little slower healing as i have had a leg length issue with this surgery but 18months later am getting there.

close the the surgery I lost the ability to walk, as with the other side, pain so intense just made it impossible, kept fit by going to the local heated pool and treading water, could manage non-weight bearing exercise.

• Posted

Ridiculous. From day 1 of initial interview with Doc I was done in 3 weeks. Had choice of 2 surgeons. Selected the one qualified to do Anterior method. Great result.
    • Posted

If you are in the U.K. You must live in one of the few area she with a very short waiting list.. I work in an NHS trust and am aware that many people have to wait the 18 weeks that is the standard
  • Posted

Hi - think yourself lucky you don't live in South Wales - I waited 18 MONTHS !!!   Although in the end I was an NHS patient in a private hospital and yes, you're right, the food was lovely, plus own en suite room of course !!

• Posted

I live in north east England, I too was told 18 weeks. 29 weeks later and 8 phone calls they finally took me in on a cancellation. The back log where I live is unreal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.