Frozen shoulder w/torn labrum

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had frozen shoulder in my right shoulder beginning in April of this year.  Horrible pain.  Significant mobility loss.  I believe I also have the beginnings of it my left shoulder.  I had a MRI and it showed partial labrum tear in left and labrum tear in my right.  I have having arthroscopy next Friday to repair my left.  I still have most of my mobility in my left although I do have a lot of pain there.  My right is excruciating.  The dr. said he can manipulate my right while I am under.  My concerns are why is the arthroscopy on my left when my worse shoulder is my right.  They said I will be able to work after two days, so surgery is Friday and plan to go back to work on Monday.  Is this practical?  I drive 50 minutes one way to work.  The dr. is aware of this and thinks I will be fine to do this.  I am also concerned I will be in pain in both shoulders after the manipulation.  How bad is that pain?  I want results, but am afraid.  The pain is soooo bad and i have really been depressed from it.  thank you.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I did manipulation and right awayhad less pain and more range of motion.  I did my mua on wed and found friday was the worse day pain wise. I went back to work on monday and was fine but still taking oercocet every six hours or so. I was able to drive and function while taking it. I am not sure if I could have functioned without the pain medicine. because even though I no longer had those horrible sharp pains when I moved my arm it still hurt and whenever I put off taking the percecet for too long i was sorry.Also i was going to PT every day and doing the excercises at home so needed meds to get thru that. Good luck!!
  • Posted

April, I too have FS- I would discuss your concerns with your doctor- there are transderal gels and medication that can take the edge off the pain-

Your doctor should be working with you on this- but ask if they aren't.

Hope your surgery goes well-

Sue

• Posted

MUA was best thing I did. Less pain right away and more ROM. I drove my self to physical therapy on the second day and really could have taken myself the first but was waiting to see how i reacted to the percocet. 
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear about your pain. All I am about to say is just my experience. My first consultant said they would do an MAU but I then tracked down a world expert who said he hadn't done that for 15 years. I had an arthroscopy about six weeks ago when I had a lot of pain and virtually no movement and now I am almost completely back to normal. I can't say why they are doing your left and not your right. I had two weeks off after one arthroscopy I am not sure you will be able to drive after two days. They recommend two weeks. I know one person who had four months off work!

Good luck with it. I think if I were you I would get a second opinion. Have you had a hydrodilatation?

• Posted

thank you for sharing your story.  No, what is hydroliatation? 
  • Posted

I had arthroscopic capsular release surgery on a Friday. Back to work on the following Monday driving lorries. Everyone is different but certainly in my experience you should be okay. Be prepared to have an extremely floppy arm. Very strange sensation. Good luck

• Posted

Hi April. I had arthroscopic capsular release surgery about 7 weeks ago. My shouder was really badly frozen. It has taken me quite a while to recover from the surgery in terms of both getting my movement back & in terms of pain. People vary, so it is quite unpredictable. I would be wary of driving 50 miles today, let alone after 2 days after surgery. For the pain, just keep taking the pain killers. And ice has been a big help after my stretching. Best of luck

• Posted

Hi April,

Like you, I had a torn labrum and frozen shoulder in my left shoulder and needed surgery to repin the labrum to my shoulder and during the surgery, the surgeon removed the scar tissue created by the frozen shoulder.  The recovery from the surgery was nothing compared to the physical therapy I endured for months for my frozen shoulder.  The manipulations by the physical therapists at each 1 hour session 2 x per week for about 3 months was unbearable and after each session I had to take pain pills and go home to sleep.  I was able to work (I have a desk job) during both of my frozen shoulder conditions except for the days of my physical therapy sessions.  Yes, 2 years later I developed frozen shoulder in my right shoulder.  But, with my right shoulder, I elected to do the exercises without the assistance of physical therapy and the rehab time frame was about the same but, without the intense pain inflicted by the forced manipulation by the physical therapists and I didn't lose any time off work.  I do not have any experience with manipulation under anesthesia.  I used massage several times per week and acupunture once or twice a week to help with the pain.  Both helped.  In my opinion, frozen shoulder goes through a process of freezing and unfreezing & the associated intense pain all on its own and there is little one can do to change the course of that process. You will need to figure out how to manage the pain. Both of my frozen shoulder conditions were the most painful at about 6 months in and took about another 6 months to achieve 90% mobility.  I am completely recovered today and enjoy a very active lifestyle.  I wish you the best of luck in dealing with the pain of frozen shoulder.  You will recover but, during the process it will be important to try to calm your body's response to that intense pain.     

• Posted

Thank you, Kate - I have done physical therapy quite a few times and it was so painful - due to the person trying to do the forced manipulation.  Not ready to do that again, but I will have to after the surgery.  Thank you for the tips!  I have not tried chiropractic or accupuncture yet...  The only pain meds I have are diclofenac sodium. 
  • Posted

Hydrodilatation is when they pump saline liquid and steroids into the shoulder. Good for the pain.
    • Posted

That has not been offered to me.  I will ask about it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.