Asthma attack / excitement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey folks

I've been recently diagnosed with asthma and I take the brown inhaler 2 puffs twice a day. On Saturday I was watching the football scores and won a big bet so I was like yeah get in there and was all excited. Next thing u know I am very breathless, pain in my chest and I was coughing and felt really dead sick. So would excitement / adrenaline bring on an attack?

Thanks

Chris

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Moods can trigger an attack, german (if I'm remembering correctly) research for example proved that being scared or anxious could trigger a tightening of the airways. You could conclude that other states of mind might trigger the same thing.

Mind you, having said that, adrenaline shouldn't be the cause. Adrenaline was an older school treatment for reversing an acute attack, having had a doctor give me adrenaline for an attack I can vouch for the effectiveness, it worked and then I felt like I could run the 4ish mile journey home.

My concern is why have you only been prescribed a preventer, you should have a reliever as well. The preventer won't stop an attack it only decreases the likelihood of one happening. The reliver is used to treat an attack that is underway.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies guys. It's still sorta persisting today. Walked to work which is a 15 minutes journey at a leisurely pace. Chest pain, breathless, mild nausea, sweats. I have been giving a ventolin inhaler as well and I am under investigation for epilepsy so the last time the nurse put me on a ventolin nebuliser while testing me it set my brain off and I nearly passed out so I would tend to avoid it at all costs

• Posted

Please get yourself checked out, this does not sound like any form of asthma to me. I dont know but your symptoms sound like mine did and it wasnt asthma. GOOD LUCK.
  • Posted

I have never heard of excitement bringing on an attack to be honest. I would double check with your GP just to make sure.

?I've always thought symptoms like the ones you experienced come around after excitement in the case of heart problems. However i am not a doctor so I could be wrong.

?Also, since you've only recently been diagnosed with asthma then I guess you might not know all of your triggers. I mean they can vary depending on the individual so bear that in mind

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.