I need some help I am so scared

Posted , 23 users are following.

I feel like being that my consult appt is Oct 12 and they are sending me paperwork and labs to do, I feel like it is really going to come to be and I feel so anxious thinking about it.  I keep thinking about how I'm going to feel the morning of and getting to the hospital without a complete panic attack.  I know I'm thinking ahead but I can't help it.  I want this done because I want to be able to walk again without so much pain.  I want to enjoy my family and do things I love to do.  Thank you in advance...Mary  Also I hope I am replying to the comments correctly do I go to start a discussion or just press the reply button.  I'm asking because I do reply but they never show up!

5 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don,t be scared I did had the operation 1.5 years ago initially there Will be some weakness due to muscle loss , with physiotherapy things will be perfect and hip will function normally. Just the matter of time and some efforts(physiotherapy) required
  • Posted

Everyone is anxious however it is a wonderful relief from the constant pain you had prior to the surgery. I am 12 weeks post op snd so happy I don't have that constant pain !!

• Posted

Mary-Completely normal to feel like you do. When you think about the alternative of living with the pain and lack of mobility, that is not a life you want to have. In the US, hip surgeries are now considered one of the most successful surgeries they do. Yes, you will have recovery and rehab but each day you will recognize you did the right thing. Try to find humor in everything you do and that will help. You will be one more of the large percentage that are very happy they had it done. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much Donnie.  I think I will be reading your response over and over because its what I need to hear.  Thanks again
    • Posted

Great reply Donnie! I agree - attitude and humour are key.

The operation itself is fine (1 week post my 2nd one). It is even better than the previous one.

Please don't worry - the bone on bone pain will end immediately. I had a spinal with sedation, didn't feel a thing and didn't remember a thing, either time. Of course recovering from the incision and surgical work takes time - some pretty heavy duty manoeuvring goes on. But it is truly miraculous to realize that you can walk and do a few stairs virtually the day after surgery.

Keeping up with your meds and activities becomes you next focus - make sure that friends and family rally to help - with tasks but also to distract you.

And keep some good music nearby.

Best wishes for a super surgeon and recovery.

L

• Posted

I had my first THR approx 3 1/2 yrs ago, my surgeon told me my hip was one of the worst he had done.  I was back to work in 7 weeks, I have a job that entails lifting/bending, I should have waited another  5 wks (whoops).  I was fully active at about 3 months.  I had my other hip done 8 weeks ago, it is almost 100% now !!

The first few weeks can be a bit difficult.  This is a very common surgery.  Like I have said on here before, you HAVE to do your post operation physical therapy.

Good Luck  cheesygrin

• Posted

Mary I normally don't worry or get stressed when I have an op, but Sept last year I was. I was worrying before I went in supposing it doesn't go right etc. A year on life is great. My hip works brilliantly. It's natural to worry. I listened to some relaxing songs helped me to be a bit calmer. Good luck with the op.  I agree with humour. I asked my surgeon when I was in the anesectic room will I be able to dance gangnam style after this?  He said yes. I said that's good because I couldn't before lol. 

• Posted

When you reply make sure you click reply again at the end . You have indeed started a new discussion 👍🏽, I'm so sorry your feeling so anxious 😰, just think every day right now you are getting worse, after you have the hip replacement every day after that you will be Getting better . You need to be fired up for getting your life back and understanding that after the op you have a journey back to health. This journey maybe hard at times , you will need help , call on family and friends, get as organised as you can can . The quickest way to get better is to be upbeat and positive about the future. You will be enjoying Christmas before you know it . My hip replacement is next week on Thursday 😬. But I'm excited to finally get rid of that pain 😍. I had my OT appointment in hospital today and met a man who looked about 95 , he had his hip replacement 2 weeks ago and was walking about so well you wouldn't have known. He came in for an appointment. He looked amazing. What's you biggest fear ??

• Posted

thank you Bobbie you make me feel better!  All the best to you  Keep in touch

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.