Elevated INR to 6.7!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I have been on warfarin for about 15 years now due to DVT & PE, I am 35yr female.

My INR was 2 a fortnight ago and tested yesterday it elevated to 6.7! This is very worrying for me as I know the risk of bleeding is now increased......

I have been under severe stress as of late due to my heath anxiety, an upcoming colonoscopy & home issues including the fact that my diet has decreased in me eating so much less and causing weight loss, can this cause the elevated INR? Anticoag has advised to miss the dose yesterday (already taken before the result came through, oops) but they asked me then to miss today and re-test tomorrow.... I am currently on x 4 3mg tabs each day, I have a sneaky feeling that I have taken two doses in one day last week and then another dose first thing in the morning.

What else can cause this massive elevation in INR, I have had elevated INR's before but that is because I have drunk over the weekend etc and the highest would have been in the 4 range...

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kay, Something similar has happened to me lately.  My usually stable INR shot up from 2.1 to 4.9 and remains high a week later.  The only factor I can attribute it to is stress - sorting out a family problem which has involved me lending out more money than I can truly afford.  It has caused me a great deal of worry and sleepless nights, and isn't resolved yet.  I checked it out both online and with the pharmacist who did my test today, and yes, stress is a factor whigh can cause INR to go up significantly.  I've had no other changes to diet or medication, and no alcohol at all in the last week.  

I'd advise you to take the warfarin at a regular time each day to avoid the possibility of taking it twice - I take mine at 6pm daily, on a similar dose to yourself, 9 and 10 on alternate days.  I used to set the alarm on my phone to remind me, but it's become such an ingrained habit that I no longer need to do so.

If we can both chill out and stop worrying, the INR should go back to normal - but sometimes that's easier said than done.  

Best wishes, hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi there

Yes, my INR has never been this high, its now stressing me out even more!!!! I am not taking any warfarin today and going to eat a cup on spinach to counter act the warfarin and retest tomorrow. I think I would have possibly double dosed but to be honest with you my stress is so immense at the moment I really cannot remember, all I do recall is asking my parter did I take it this morning and he said no idea then I took 4 and another 4 the following morningĀ 

• Posted

Yes, I'm maxing out on the broccoli to help get mine back down, and skipping my usual daily small glass of red wine.  But I'm sure that stress is a big factor. Try going for a walk with your favourite music on the iPod, relaxing doing something you enjoy, anything stress-busting that keeps your mind off whatever is worrying you.  And do keep a good track of your regular daily dose.  

Hopefully things will go back to normal.

• Posted

Hi there

Yes, I had green beans and brocolli last night and might have some spinach tonight...

I am so stressed out I genuinely think that I have double dosed one day and immediately took another normal dose the following morning when I normally take them

• Posted

Hi, 

I typed the below questions on a general internet search

Q. Does stress have an effect on International Normalized Ratio During

Warfarin Therapy?

Q. Is it common to have erratic inr's during menopause?

Q. When do perimenopause start?

• Posted

Cheryll - messages have been deleted and not got your mobile no.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.