Worried about effects of Sertraline and alcohol cravings

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ihave been on 200mg daily, reduced it to 150mg, now reduced it to 100mg. Last time I came off them I was fine for a little while then crashed!

I have suspected for some time that Sertraline and Citroplan increase alcohol desires. From being mostly a non drinker my drinking is not good once I start! I have just read tonight some amazing articles and comments from people who have only had a decrease in alcohol cravings after they come off this type of serotonin medication. I won't put the links on here as it probably won't be allowed.

i am going to my GP about this. Wish me luck as they don't always accept this.

Can anyone offer advice? Am scared of staying on and of coming off Sertraline so feeling trapped.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If your doing well stay on the medication. I would give anything to feel ok. Don't gamble with your health.

• Posted

Thanks. I feel ok but detached from life. The alcohol cravings have become a big worry....will lose my licence as a result.

i want to be me again (not the very unwell me), I don't really know who I am any more.

• Posted

Just want to clarify...what does feeling ok actually mean? I do t know why I said I feel ok when I feel far from that.
  • Posted

Not many responses to this post. I wonder why. My thorough research has convinced me and my GP is weaning me off and onto a non SSRI antedepressants that won't have the same effect. Test of time if anyone is interested in following my experiences. I do hope this proves successful for me.

• Posted

trying something else is a good idea yes since some of the other antidepressants work different from the usual ssri's eg. sertraline, citalopram, etc

hopefully you will be just fine on one of the others types ...  eg.  mirtazapine, trazodone, wellbutrin ...

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

I crave alcohol too, and 7 years ago on the comedown from Sertraline it was the same, unfortunately last time I ended up drinking too much...and it wasn't pretty.  This time i've found that converting to alcohol-free beers and wines has helped greatly, thankfully I crave the tast, not necessarily the effects.

I'd definately recommend being honest with your GP about the alcohol consumption, because it's very real to you and I, and I was foolish the first time round not to ask for assistance, and they're the best people to do that.  In the mean time, try to find alcohol-free version of your favourite drink, mine's Becks Blue, and that does the trick smile

• Posted

Ive just signed up . Been on setraline a matter of weeks and feel weird !!!

Is this normal ? Just swapped from Paroxatine ..not sure ...especially with the possibility of craving for drink !!!! thats the last thing I need more ofneutral

• Posted

Any other views on craving alcohol while on this drug? I came off fluoxetine b4 christmas because of this reason & now been started on this but im so scared the cravings will return!?

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

How are you getting on?

I am amazed by this post because i was on fluoxetine for about 3 years ans now I have been on Sertraline for 2 years and i am experiencing alcohol cravings!! I am so happy tp have found this discussion because it all makes sense, i was never a big drinker but since sertraline especially, I drink everyday..... !! I definitely think it affects how often I drink.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.