Barrett's Esophagus

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus and was put on ppi and I've also done some research regarding alternative options and started using apple cider vinegar, DGL and drinking chamomile tea. I haven't sent any Changes as of yet.

My question is regarding one of my symptoms. It doesn't matter what I eat within minutes the middle of chest feels tight and hurts and tender to touch and also right at the top of my chest hurts as well (more specifically right at the top of each breast but more towards the middle of chest for each side) this was my original symptom which lead to all sorts of heart testing which all were normal. I do have pain in my stomach if I eat something fatty, or very acidic, but no matter what I eat my chest always hurts within minutes. Is this a normal symptom????

Thanks in advance for your response

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have Barretts to.  I believe what you are experiencing is heatrburn.  I used to experience that on occassions. I never eat and drink together.  I eat slowly and then drink my drink afterwards slowly otherwise I get the heartburn.  It will be different for everyone.  You will have to find your trigger.  Remember not to eat anything three hours before bedtime.  Watch what you eat no highly fatty foods like fried foods.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Dear Sonbird,

Your symptoms are not from the Barrett's which is asymptomatic, actually less sensitive than the squamous tissue it has replaced and protecting your body from digesting itself. Your symptoms are a result of the acid refluxng that caused the Barrett's to form. (See attached graphic which is taen from a page on the BarrettsWessex org uk website. )

Some people report anecdotally that some of these phyto-remedies have worked for them. Others have not found it so and research evidence is sadly lacking as to their effcacy. (See the Natural Remeides chapter within the Acid section of the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk. )

The problem with Barrett's is, in a very small number of people, it can mutate (dysplasia) towards cancer. (Risk ranges fro 0.2% to 0.7% p.a. depeding where you live. ) Regular surveillance scopes every few years will look for these changes whence it can be ablated to prevent the cancer from occurring.

You will probably have been prescribed a PPI drug (eg omeprazole) which should reduce the symptoms you describe. The use of these powerful drugs needs to be monitored by a doctor. But meta-analysis of many research studies has revealed those on PPIs have a 71% reduced risk of progression to cancer.

Although PPIs are great at reducing the acid, however, they do not control the reflux which is a mechanical action that you'll have to manage through lifestyle changes. You cannot expect foods, additives or medicine (which all basically result in chemical reactions) to do this. See the Natural Remedies chapter in the Reflux section of the Down With Acid book.

If reflux symptoms are still a problem, you may need to consider surgery (fundoplication) .

• Posted

Thank you for all the info! I really appreciate it. I am taking a ppi and also have added some alternative remedies to try and help as well along with changing my diet.

In addition to the hurting of my chest it also feels like my food gets stuck but maybe that is also typical for this.

My dad and Grandfather had Barrett's as well and never was able to get it the acid reflux under control so they both ended up having to have some type of surgery (not sure of the name) that basically wrapped their stomach around the Esophagus and this helped them and the never had any issues afterwards. I would really like to avoid surgery if possible.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi Barretts..... Question... I have barretts and GERD and am using ppis to control the acid , which is working very well. Does that mean that any leakage into my oesophagus caused by my hernia and slack sphincter is hopefullynot going aggravate/ encourage the  Barretts to change, increase etc as the reflux is not acidic or as acidic as what it was in the first place when the damage was caused . I know nothing is guaranteed but in your view could it reduce the chances of more changes occurring in my oesophagus. Have been offered fundo op if in ant it, but was planning to wait to see what my routine gastroscopy shows in 2018. Thanks Shelley

• Posted

You're correct.

PPIs reduce acid making reflux less dangerous. A recently published meta-analysis of all the many research papers on "Acid-suppressive medications and risk of oesophageal adenocarcinoma in patients with Barrett’s oesophagus" found "PPI use was associated with a 71% reduction in risk of OAC and/or BO-HGD in patients with BO" . (That risk is very low anyway at 0.2% - 0.7% p.a. depending on where you live. )

But PPIs control acid not the mechanical action of reflux so for those whose reflux is the greater concern, a fundoplication may be the better option.

• Posted

Did the doctor tell you that you had any inflammation of the esophagus? That's what my pain in that area was caused from. I also tried the apple cider vinegar and while it helped with my digestion , it had an irritating effect on me too

• Posted

Hi Joanne!  Yes I do have inflammation of the esophagus. It's weird... at times it almost feels like a I have pulled muscles across the top part of my chest and pain right down the center between my breasts.  Nothing I do is helping with this.  No matter what food I eat I always have pain sad  It is so discouraging. 

• Posted

Do you sleep on an incline? That would definitely help with restricting the acid from creeping up into your esophagus to cause the inflammation. It helps me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.