Can one tablet cause weight gain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I know this may seem like a silly question. Last month I was prescribed 40mg of Propranolol to take 2x a day. I've only taken half a tablet once and after reading side effects I'm scared to touch it again even though it was helpful. My biggest concern is the weight gain since I've worked hard to lose 35lbs, I don't want to gain it back. Will taking one 40mg tablet (maybe once a week) cause me to gain weight?

I know it's silly but I need to know. Thanks x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Not a silly question at all....if you read other posts on this site you will see that a lot of people did gain weight...some not......doctors will usually tell you that you won't gain but with so much evidence from patients, we know this is not true.

I've been on 40 - 70 once a day for 8 months and have gained 35 pounds....I eat the same and take no other meds, so I know it is the Prop.

If you are only taking it once a week and you are getting relief from your migraines I would give it a try but watch your weight...if you see yourself going up for no reason (and remember Christmas is coming), then discuss with your doctor.

Best of luck...I just went off it and hopefully will lose some of this weight!

Patricia (from Canada)

• Posted

Hi May, I take 40 mg x2 a day. Yes I have gained weight but for me it's ok. This is OK with me because I don't have severe migraine anymore. It works so I'll gain a bit of weight

• Posted

I took it today for an interview. How much weight will I gain?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.