isc

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Ladies, 

I came across this discussion tonight, and felt for the first time like i wanted to write about my problem. I am 37 yrs old and was diagnosed with less than 20% kidney function in my left kidney, due to a urethral stricture. It seems the stricture was caused 5 years ago from keyhole surgery for removal of an ovarian cyst. The kidney is being monitored because it is boderling whether it needs to be removed, which I am slowly dealing with, but I have now been informed that my bladder is only half emptying when  I urinate, so I have been sent home with catheters to ISC once every day.  Does anyone else struggle with doing this? It is not painful, or uncomfortable, but to say i am holding 200-300ml of urine every time, I very rarely successfully remove more than 50ml of urine, sometimes nothing at all. I am getting really frustrated with it because all the websites and forums say how easy it is, so why cant I find it easy? Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello DMN.

I have no idea why you're not being successful with self cathing. When I do it, I am able to completely drain my bladder with no problem at all. When the catheter enters the bladder, I insert it another inch. The flow is good and doesn't stop until I am empty. I pull it out very slow, stopping every time the flow starts again. When I finish, my bladder is empty. What size and type of catheter are you using?

John

• Posted

Hi Johnclen, 

Its a Coloplast 8cm. I insert it really slowly and have watched numerous vides,etc. Apparently I am only emptying half of my bladder when I go, so there must be something in there.  I was hoping others would have the same issue so I m not on my own. ah well. Thanks for replying. 

• Posted

Hi dmn,

If you mean 8FR on the catheter size, that sounds a bit small. Most of us on here who do this are using a 12 or even a larger 14 or 16. I use the 12. You are getting some urine, so you are likely inside the bladder I would think. I agree with Deb, return to the doctor / nurse to check on things and to ask about the size of the catheter.

John

• Posted

If not much is coming out then there probably isn't much there.  You could go back to your doctor/nurse to check you are doing it correctly if you're worried though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.