Please Help me Please!!! My 8 year son needs relief and so do I.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please Help me Please!!! My 8 year son needs relief and so do I.

My 8 year son has been dealing with this issue on his scalp since last Thursday and it seems to be getting worse not better! At first my son has 2 small dry spots on the right side of his head, the barber told us to use Selsum Blue to clear this up. We used it one a week for 2 weeks. One day my son comes up to me and said mom the side of my head is really dry, itches, and red. I look at it and its horrible the whole side of his head if full of dry white flakes, I wash it with selsum blue thinking it would help and clear it up, the next morning it is full yellow pus and very hard. I take him to the doctor and he prescribes Mupirocin Ointment USP 2%. I was advised to put it on 3 times a day for 2 weeks. Later that night, my son is crying in pain, his head is super red, inflammation and bleeding. I take him to the ER and they say he has Folliculitis on the scalp and gave me Cephalexin 250 Mg/5ML for 5 days every 6 hrs, bacitracin ointment, and hydrocortisone 2.5%. I don't think any of these medications are helping him at all. I have reschedule appt with his doctor for tomorrow Oct 7 2016 so he can look at it and referred me to a dermatologist. I have googled for hours online trying to figure out what I can do to help him, he cries about it all the time, how it itches, inflammation, and how it just plain hurts him. I want to do everything I can do for him. I feel so helpless and just want something to work so he can go back to himself, he goes to school and everyone asked him whats wrong and kids make fun of him. We have never had anything like this before, he has never had a scalp problem before so this is totally unexpected for both of us. I was thinking about doing the raw honey treatment to help him with the itches and inflammation. Please any advice would be so helpful, I am willing to do anything to help my son. I want this to go away and I have no clue where to start. I am not getting much help from his doctors. I have posted some pics of his condition as it is right now.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Here is his scalp at the moment. 
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your son's condition. Sounds like his scalp is dry do to eczema/psoriasis. I know it's hard to ask a kid not to scratch when it itches but he has to make an effort, it is causing the dry patches to get infected. I don't know where you live but if the weather is changing to cooler temperature it could cause your skin to dry up. Cooler showers and using baby shampoo should relieve some of the itchiness. Trust your doctor to give your son some medication for the itchiness/dryness, but I wouldn't do it for a long time. I don't know what your diet is like but I would look into eating more vegetables, drinking a lot of water and staying away from processed foods and drinking sodas, all of those are skin killers.

Good luck to you and your son.

• Posted

hello, i know it's a bit late but i have durmatitis on my hands and i some times find that a change in diet like taking out red meats can help, or citrus.

i can't touch soaps, moiturisers, hot water over 50degrees, and weather and seasons also affect it.

i hope you my own experiance can help in some way. and i hope your son gets better soon to. (im not a health care profesional nore am i acting like i am)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.