Pain after kidney surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 31yo normally healthy female. In the beginning of August 2016 I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma. They just did the surgery a week ago. Was in the hospital for 6 days post op due to they could not manage my pain. I was just released from the hospital 2 days ago. Pain has not gotten any better. It still feelsays like my insides are exploding. When I stand it feels like I'm 9 months pregnant and about to drop a baby out of me, what the pressure feels like. It hurts to move. Pain't meds prescribed do not help. Can not sleep. Get out of breath easy just getting up to use the bathroom. Which I may having normal bowel movements so not a gas or constipation pain. No fever but hot flashes and get very dizy.

Has anyone had these problems? What was done? Or any advice on what I can or should do now?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi jenn26693. I am so sorry that you are in so much pain and what you are having to deal with. I don't have anything close to what you have. I am definitely not a doc. I just have Sjogrens, Lupus & Raynauds. I do suffer from chronic bladder infections and interstitial cystitis. Inflammation of the bladder. They way you describe your pain is what I experience exactly. Maybe asking your doctor for antii inflammatory medication might help. Im sure you took lots of antibiotics in the hospital. You have to take with a meal/food. I don't know but was a thought. I wish you relief from your pain. God bless you,

kristyk

• Posted

Hi Jenn; I don't say I have the answer, but feel it maybe an idea to have a CT, for there may be a cyst around the op site???   This is quite a common post-op problem, and unless you complain enough, no-one takes much notice (especially nurses/doctors, as they usually follow the Normal Routine......)   I have seen this quite often, where they feel everything is "going as it should be". However, as in  your case, and 2 months down the track, You Should Not be having such pain. 

?Is it possible to get you primary carer/GP to order a CT scan for you (are they understanding and believe in you as a person/know you well?)

?If this doesn't work, then  try another, and another, or even a Different ED to the hospital where you had the surgery (I'm assuming here that you went under the public system??).....but if you went privately, then all the better to go to the public system, and complain (say your pain is 12 out of 10 when they ask, and that Nothing is/has helped pain-wise, and that you Insist on having it seen to by the Top ED Dr).  You may get  what you want;  and all you can do is try your hardest, as this is YOUR body, not theirs'.

let us know how you get one, as I will be wanting to know what is found.

Bron

• Posted

Hi bronwyn97278, What awesome advise! You posted one of the most caring, important, moving and honest responses I have ever read! You were a godsend. It's comforting to know there are people like you that can help each of us when we have a question or advice we may ask hoping someone will be able to help us in someway. Many of us are afraid of what we are experiencing and looking for someone that just might have an answer. God bless you!

kristyk

• Posted

Bron,

Kristy is right you are an awesome person with the advice you give it's too bad some of us can't be doctors because we have the compassion it takes to be a doctor and really care and be there for people. I would always want to do my best to care for patients like they should be cared for. I am that way as a CNA I will do whatever it takes in order for a doctor to listen if I think something is wrong with someone because they deserve the best care not right for them to hurt. I wish my doctor was like that also...

• Posted

If you have access to the Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fl they have a symptom(s) program to match to possible medical conditions. Maybe they would be able to give you some ideas to work with. Best of luck! Dealing w pain issues is a never-ending job! Sending a hug and hopeing you can get the help you need. 
  • Posted

Jenn,

I think that bron and Kristy have the right Ideal you have gotta fight to get anything done anymore. Keep on them until they do every test known to man until someone does something it's not right for you to go around hurting like you are something has to be wrong and it's the doctors responsibility to find out why you are hurting like you are. They just see it as though their job is done and it's not until you are 100 % their job isn't done. Don't give up keep pushing through and yes let us know what you find out, keep us updated. God Bless you...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.