Feeling awful

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have other health problems.But couple of months ago was also diagnosed with Active Rheumatoid Arthritis I was put on Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquine,and since then I have felt poorly Headche,Nausea,also I'm so tired I feel I can't function.Is it the drugs?and will it pass.Any info will be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you feel bad! I couldn't handle the metho side and had to go off. I'm in arava now aka lefleudomide. I have been on hydroxychloroquine.

After I started arava it took about 8weeka but I started to feel better. Fatigue and pain both. I still have flares but overall better. I do take dyclo when the pain is bad. Naproxen worked for about 4weeks and then stopped.

Hope this helps!

If the side effects continue talk to your dr. Some subside like the nausea but for me the drunken fuZy head on day 3 wouldn't let up

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.And that's exactly what it feels like a drunken fuzzy head without the alcohol.I'm hoping it will pass soon If not I have Rheumatologist November I will have to see him about symptoms.I hate feeling like this.I could sleep standing up.

• Posted

I had to miss work each week for that. Took the med Thur pm and Friday morning. Worked from home fridays but Monday was a lost day. I went in one time and was so sick I couldn't even get up from my desk. Luckily hubby is in my bldg and he brought me some soup which helped some. No way I would drive or do anything important. Plus kind of scary feeling that way. Dr said that symptom wouldn't get better if I had it.

If you need to call the office and tell them. I stuck it out 4 week.

• Posted

I'm gonna try splitting my dose up see if that helps Fingers crossed I think I'd rather have the joint pains than feel like this I'm going to ring in the week to let them know, they gave me there emergency number.I can't go on like this

• Posted

I started MTX with 2 pills then was to increase by 1 pill weekly until I reached 7.  I took 4 and was extremely ill.   I spiked a temp and had terrible diarrhea.   Told the doc I had read you can spread the pills out over the entire day and tolerate it better.   I did do that and it helped but was not able to even take more than 3 so I have approval for biologic Humira and waiting for that to start in a couple weeks.  For now I still take 

3 MTX and folic acid but pain is not a huge issue for me as yet.  Mostly awful fatigue,some joint pain

• Posted

I'm on 10 pills now 25mgs I've had diarrhoea with it as well as the other symptoms. I will try spreading g them out to see what happens.

• Posted

You could ask your doctor for the injectable form injecting isn't that bad realy take care steve.b

• Posted

HI again

That is about the maximum dose so I would think you would feel very lousy   

My gastroent. MD said she does have people on 25 to 30mg for Crohn's disease.  I also have that autoimmune condition but she increases the dose gradually so people get adjusted to it.  You could try injections of the medicine yourself as it is better tolerated/ fewer side effects   Talk to your doctor though about your side effects.  Sorry you are suffering so much, hang in there--it's not easy

• Posted

Thank you Its great to talk to someone who has been through it

I went straight to 25 And I didn't know what a high or low dose was as I've never had them before I'm going to make an appointment Monday

Thank you

• Posted

My rheumy told me the injections would help with nausea but not the foggy lightheadedness. He didn't even want to try me on it

• Posted

Hi. Ive been on methotrexate years, alongside biological past two years. But I'm afraid 4 days out of 7 I feel sick. Lightheaded. And some days can't get out of bed until afternoon, but when I asked why I felt sick and tired my doctor told me what did I expect taking a chemotherapy drug, but on plus side it comes and goes, sometimes I feel fine for months. I'm thinking maybe if the immune system is low then u feel worse... But in general these side effects are ment to die down, so good luck x

• Posted

I can't stand this feeling.I'm so lively normally. And I've actually had 2 bouts of chemo and i think i feel worse on these 2 drugs than on that.Its the giddy muzzy light head I can't tolerate.And sleep,I'm like RIP Van Winkle can't get enough.I wake in the morning and I'm just as tired. I hate complaining as there's loads worse of than me.I rang Rheumatology this morning but was answerphone machine.I waiting to hear backx

• Posted

Good luck,  hope you can get an appointment or talk to someone about the meds.     Maybe as some have said your body will get used to it.   If I had taken that initial dose you mentioned I don't think I would still be here to talk about it.   On 4 pills only I was having to stay so close to the bathroom for 2 full days and had chills/ fever/ aches--awful.     But the meds for RA are trial and error.  Everyone is so different in how their body reacts

• Posted

Reading your words takes me back to one year ago. I was on MTX 20mg injections and 5mg prednisolone after trying the tablets up to 25mg. I was feeling sick and tired and miserable all the time, and as time went by it was only getting worse sad

Eventually I stopped because I could not stand it any more.

I moved to another medication and am on a remission since about 6 months with no pain or fatigue and have my life back for now.

I really wish the injectable form works for you and that you can get used to it.

If you don't, well, maybe it's not the best treatment for you and time to move on.

• Posted

Hospital said to persevere with the tablets.I have now got anti nausea tablets? but it's not making a lot of difference And to be truthful my joints ache just as much now as they did

I have an appointment for November and if I'm still like this I shall tell them I want to come off them as I don't want to feel like this all the time as I'm just not functioning normally

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.