Questions about ADT for 6 months, during/after affects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Somewhat newly diagnosed 56 yrs old.  Gleason grade 7 group 2.  Just out of the "watchful wating" here in the US.   I had a PSA level 5 yrs ago about 1.4, then 2 yrs ago I jumped to 5.9.  My doctor just passed over them.  My partner got the test results in Feb and blew a fuse.  I got retested and got a 10.2.  A later test had me at 11.0 and another one at 10.1.  Due to severe antibiotic reactions (and several cases of prostatitis/infections) I had a microfine MRI run.  Positive on the MRI of a tumor, left side, up front.  Biopsy confirmed.  It wouldn't have been found by the "finger" test as all of those who have done one felt nothing, until it would have been in an advanced stage.  I have 2 of the top 20 Urology/Radiology doctors on my team.  They are recommending with my radiation therapy (Brachy and proton beam) a 6 month ADT injections.  I work in a large IT company and have good rapore with my co-workers/managers who know about my cancer diagnosis. 

My questions are -> What are the side affects can happen while taking ADT?  How long do they last?  How permenant are they?  They are only asking for 6 months, not years.  

Thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

You are 56 with a G7 and a tumor confined to he prostate. Surgery is the answer in my opinion. UNLESS you have reasons you can't have surgery OR you have other medical issues going on.

I am 50 when the biopsy showed a G9 also confined to the prostate.

I was offered all the options (on the assumption that the biopsy was correct and that it was confined to the prostate. The biopsy is not 100% accurate).

I read about hormone therapy where the testosterone in the testes and adrenal glands is stopped. This is politely sold as "ADT". If I was 80 I would go for it. At 50 there was no way I would.

The side effects of ADT are bad and they do not stop once you stop the treatment in 6 months. They include, weight gain, sexual dysfunction, cognitive dysfunction, hot flashes, depression, mood swings etc.

Also if you take ADT do not be surprised if your urologist extends the period you're on it in case the cancer does not respond accordingly. He doesn't swear on the Bible when he says "6 months".

As for Brachy, note there are a few types: Low dose; high dose and high dose & Radiation.

• Posted

Forgot to say that I opted for robotic surgery. And it went well. I had a catheter for 6 days and was driving a car on the 7th day.
    • Posted

Thank you Barney.  I am over weight by 40 lbs, multi-antibiotic allergies (penicillin, cipro, levaquine, sulfa).  My T is already low (but in normal range).  I have a umbilical hernia from my gallbladder removal back in '09.  My urologist even stated I am not in the running for surgery, as he has pull back from the yank it out status. 

As for ADT, I knew about some of the side affects, but you just confirmed my gut feeling.  It doesn't stop.  I work as a desk jocky as at a major corporation.  I am a systems and data analyst/project manager, and therefore having mental/cognitive disfunction is out of scope for this to be added on for the radiation. 

According to my MRI and the biopsy ultra-sound It is slightly bulging on the left side top but not to the point of escaping containment.  So we are looking at high does + proton/beam radiation.

• Posted

I wonder if another urologist would offer you surgery.

When you consider other options always look deep into possible side effects. For instance, radiation can damage the area near the rectum and that can cause bowel difficulties in addition to the guaranteed urinary issues that come from having the prostate treated.

On the plus side, with a G7 you don't have to worry about the combination of ADT + Radiation. And that is a blessing.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. The good news is that you have options. At 56, you want to get this thing treated and over with. And your age is an advantage.  I had prostatitis  too, so I understand that unpleasant experience. I had the biopsy done, which is also not fun. My PSA was at 5.2, with 2 core samples out of 12 positive for non agressive prostate cancer. Fortunately, the 2 samples were low at 2% in one and 10% in the other. Gleason score of 3 + 3 = 6. I researched my treatment options at that point. I didn't feel comfortable with the active survailance which was also an option for me - just knowing that  there was cancer and it could grow and develope into something more than 2 cores. After lengthy discussions with my urologist, and the oncologist I decided on the low dose radiation Brachytherapy. It is a one time out patient treatment done under anesthesia. It takes about 30 to 45 minutes. The low dose radiation helps in keeping the treatment where it needs to be - within your prostate. There is a much less chance of the radiation causing damage to surrounding tissues like your bladder or colon. It has been 7 months since I had the treatment and I am doing very well. For the first few months, there is some inflammation to the prostate and the urethra, but ibuprofen helps with that. Also, my urologist put me on Tamsulosin (generic Flomax), prior to the procedure as a precaustion,. I was not having any urinary issues, but since the radiation would most likely cause some inflammation, he put me on it. I think that was a good call. After the procedure,  I was taking 2 capsules daily for a short time, now I am taking one and will probably go off of it entirely in a few more months. Check out all of your treatment options. Brachy is a good choice if it is offered to you. The high dose Brachy is administered in 2 sessions I believe. They leave the needles in the prostate for a set time (I think an hour or so), then they are removed. The procedure is repeated about 2 weeks later. The benefit of the low dose, is that it is one time and you're done. The seed implants stay in. The radiation is totally gone after about 8 months. I have suffered few side effects. There is some urgency and frequency for urination in the beginning, but that gets better with time. No incontenence. As far as sexual side effects - not much interest in sex for a couple of weeks wihich is understandable. But soon, the interest is back. The main difference in sexual activity that I experienced is a big reduction in the volume of your ejaculation. At least it is for me. I don't know if that will change over time. But at least the pleasure and feelings are still there. And that is a good thing. Better to be cancer free. At my 6 month follow up, my PSA is now at 0.15.

Do some research - what ever treatment you choose, make sure your doctor has performed that procedure many times successfully.  Good Luck to you.... Charles

• Posted

Thank you Charles for the encoragement.  My partner and I have been thru 99% of the medical journals (my partner is a GP doctor).  I just had to make up my mind on what treament I am in favor of.  Brachy has the fewest problems and from family and friends works the best.  Followed by beam/proton radiation.  As Barney says above ADT has it's own lasting effects and with my job I just can't do that.

My Urologist and Radiologist have been working "together" for 25 yrs here at UW Medicine.  They helped to pioneer robotic, nerve sparing prostate removal as well as Brachy/Proton therapy for prostate cancer.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hello. Maybe it's different in the uk. My other half had brachytherapy nearly 2 years ago. No hormones were needed. He was 57. We were told he didn't need hormones as prostate was normal size. But we know quite a few people that have had brachytherapy and none had hormones. His PSA is now 0.4 and hoping it will stay that way. Good luck.

• Posted

A good place to start getting accurate information is from a PCa support group and your Urologist. Harvard Medical School has an online wealth of information related to ADT. Usually a short course of 6 months has few long lasting side effects. My husband had the 6 months, had no side effects. He did have lowered energy but nothing much else. I have Intermediate risk PCa and will get the same treatment as yours. Ive found the cancer center I am going to an excellent source of info. I live in NW Massachusetts.
  • Posted

My radiologist looked at my pelvic structure , the shape of my prostate and location... I am not a candidate for Brachytherapy. They would not be able to put the seeds in about 1/4 of my cancerous area without a really wickedly curved set of needles. That also takes out surgery as the RAS would not be able to take it out completely and spare the nerves.

I go into the urologist in two weeks to get my gold markers inserted for beam radiation.

• Posted

I had IMRT in January and so far very few side effects. Modern techniques enable the beam to be pinpointed accurately. The worst part is the daily drag of turning up at the hospital and waiting around.

All the best.

• Posted

When it comes to the various options, have you considered the expensive but side effects free proton therapy?
    • Posted

Your reply demonstrates why there are NO simple answers to which therapy is best. The answers must be tailored to the individual person. As you mentioned, because of your individual anatomy, brachytherapy was not an option, and evidently so is surgery. You seem to have confidence in your urologist and radiation oncologist and they will likely map out a treatment plan that will give you the best results. Best of luck.
    • Posted

I do trust my doctors.  Tomorrow I speak with the "medical" oncologist.  I am willing to listen to what he has to say, but unless they have a new set of medical procedures that won't affect my mental/memory, I may not do it.  I work in a IT facility that my memory and mental capabilites must be in top shape.  Thus it could affect my employment.  I did get them to move up the marker insertion from Dec 22 to Nov 18.  Just getting the pre-auth for the gel insert it taking a lot more time.  They havn't turned it down and they haven't said yes either...

• Posted

My insurance won't pay for proton but will pay for IMRT beam. 

• Posted

I understand. Just to reiterate an earlier point of mine, in response to your anxiety about losing  cognitive function, I can't speak for the side effects of radiation treatment but I know that hormone treatment affects cognitive function amongst its many  nasty side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.