Has anyone any experience of adverse effects of codeine please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was wondering what other people's experience of taking prescribed codeine was.

Did you receive any help in weaning off these ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I know people who have been on codiene long term for YEARS.  No helpp recieved to come off it - unless you ask for help 
  • Posted

Any time I try to reduce my usage, I get terrible stomach cramps. Imodium helps a little bit, but it feels liks a big commitment to try to stop taking them totally. That, and that a few days later my pain returns with a vengance 
    • Posted

Unfortunately the withdrawal sympotoms are rather unpleasant.

Codeine lowers the pain threshold . This may account for the pain returning with a vengeance.

This makes people take more and more of this drug of addiction.

Hope the above info helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.