Severe cramps

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am four months post-op from my complete Achilles' tendon tear surgery. I have been experiencing severe muscle spasms and cramps. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes that's normal. It will go away the more you stretch.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying.. that's good to know bc it's been awful.

• Posted

You're welcome. Mary do or did you have what I call the "crunchy" feeling in your foot?

• Posted

I am following the non-surgical option, but also experienced the "crunchy" feeling in my foot as swelling goes down... about 8 weeks into treatment.  I also had accute gout, so I'm not sure whether I'm representative.

• Posted

I did non surgical treatment for two years before it ruptured.. good luck, hope yours get better!
    • Posted

Thanks, Mary.  Mine was already snapped, so there wasn't any getting more ruptured!

• Posted

Mary,

i am 11 weeks post op.  I have not experienced cramps or spasms. Plenty of other annoying symptoms, but not those.  For example, I have had significant pain in my big toe on the surgical foot. PT got it under control in a couple days and gave me strategies to fix it if it recurred.  Primarily a side effect of weeks if immobilization, but it sounds like you are well beyond that stage. Might also discuss with PT folks. 

• Posted

My big toe never bothered me, it was my last two little toes. Didn't really hurt just no feeling and very weak. I have been done with PT for quite some time now. I called padiatrist and they have me coming in tomorrow. So hopefully I will get answers and some relief. I can't even drive without having to pull over but it cramps up. Good luck to you!

• Posted

And best wishes to you for speedy and full recovery. I didn't know what to call that feeling in the ankle, but crunchy is perfect. Almost feels like some sand under the skin. 

• Posted

Your surgeon more than likely purposely cut your sural nerve or accidentally damaged it. It

Innervates thise two toes and is a common issue with ATR surgeries.

• Posted

I get a cramp in my right foot where my Achilles was ruptured when I drive.  I am 10 weeks post op
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

Yes, I'm experiencing leg spasms but so far they haven't been painful.

• Posted

Yes. I have had them Dez and my whole leg jumps it did it straight aft my opp that night I would shout out boot comes off tomorrow hopefully in London it's been such a while it was done 23  August   ,had two casts hope he will let me take boot off as he has to   Ex ray it ,, onsee if the Tendons of grated to the bone fingers crossed then one crunchers or 2 not sure ,,,hope it helps .👌

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.