Bunionectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

It's been a while since I've posted!

Today is eight weeks post bunionectomy,fusion and toe straightened. It's been almost two years getting to this stage with two failed surgeries and a surgery that couldn't go ahead due to an infection under the plate.

The toe is looking good although I didn't realise it would be shorter due to a wedge of bone being taken out to straighten the toe!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Terri

Oh I really hope you're third time lucky with this surgery. I can only sympathise with you. I've had one failed surgery on both feet and I'm 6 days post op on one foot after 2 years.

I hope the shortening of the toe is not too disappointing. ..as long as it heals and functions well!

Hope you have a good recovery 😊

• Posted

Hi Jazzy,

I never thought there could be so many complications with a bunion?!

Foot up for you and lots of rest!

My foot is still painful and swollen and I cant wear a normal shoe yet, but I am optimistic of the outcome!

Keep me informed of your progress?!

• Posted

Hi Terri

Yup I will do. Thanks

Good luck with yours too!

• Posted

Terri

Glad everything is looking good.

?I'm looking forward to a shorter toe, should be easier to buy shoes! Not sure how much shorter as I was shocked to find out that one of the bones is longer than it should be, which could cause damage in the long run resulting in a joint replacement.

• Posted

Hi Mrspiggy!

Its a bit strange to wake up with a shorter toe!

Good luck, when is your surgery?

• Posted

Good  question! Just about to cancel it! Paperwork just arrived and the consultant has booked me for a GA we when a requested a LA.  Suspect it is the hospital always have this problem! 1st Nov
  • Posted

This this is my shorter toe!
    • Posted

It doesn't look that probably what mine will look like!

• Posted

I did get upset when the dressing came off and I saw this!
    • Posted

I know it doesn't look that bad at all. But at the end of the day they're your feet and because of all the time and pain you go through it hurts doesn't it.

Hopefully you'll get used to it.

• Posted

Terri

My left foot doesn't bother me at all now, yes I was concerned when I had by bandage off but now I don't even notice it. Once I was completely recovered about 10months later I never noticed it, I was  pain free and forgot all about it. I know there will be quite a difference when I have the right done  but this time next year I will be pain free and will have forgotten all about the difference.

• Posted

Sounds like you had difficulties with this surgery problems! Hope it's better for you this time healing. I'm just 6 weeks post surgery and tomorrow I get the pin out of my toe next to the big toe. I'm expecting soreness for awhile, but so far I have had no pain. I took pain pills for the first two days for precaution but nothing since then. I hope all goes well for you

• Posted

Hi Loreen,

It has been a journey! Luckily I heal well but have a low pain threshold!

Good luck with the healing process😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.