Best way to sit down ? That hurts !

Posted , 12 users are following.

Any ideas the best way to sit ? Unless I am lying on the bed with foot elevated I find all forms of sitting make me hurt . Mainly in the buttock lower back and scar area.just cannot get comfortable . Tried sitting in a hard chair, sitting on sofa, armchair, recliner, laying on sofa. All very uncomfortable after an hour . Is this normal ? Now my filling fallen out which means trip to dentist as bacteria could get in but I not been out house yet ! Aargh ...😩

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I find a recliner is the best for me but don't sit long . Try to ice it when you are sitting it helps with pain . Take care 

• Posted

ah you need antibiotic prior to dr visit! I sit with my butt against back of chair and leg elevated slightly hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi lovie , I'm not comfy anywhere else but my bed . Iv got TV, box sets , pills , water , chocolate , fruit , everything I need . I go for little walks if I feel the need and to the loo and do my exercises but then I'm back to bed 😉 Safe xxx sorry about your filling love , you really didn't need that , but it dose need to be sorted asap . 😳 X

• Posted

You want to have little bend so that healing is straight and to minimize clot probabilities.  So sit only briefly and only with legs well supported.  Otherwise in low lying lounge chair.  Yipes about the dentist, you may have to premed with antibiotic for that now..-  Some light pain med may still be helpful for comfort so you can get more rest.. 
  • Posted

Take pain meds to help you thru this period on a regular basis as prescribes.

it does hurt I can sympathize with you, it will get better. Continue with therapy this will pass.

• Posted

I sit in a recliner and use gel packs, I have 3 of them t rotate from hip to freezer. I find them better than ice bags because they form to the leg and hip and are soft. One is pretty big at about 12"x18" and the other two are are about 4" x10". You can get them on line. I promise you that you'll be glad you did. Good luck with the healing.

• Posted

hi hazel,  so sorry to hear this  - you can probably imagine that the operated site is tender and sensitive ... did you mention this when you were in the hospital or is this since you are home?Scar of 2nd Hip surgery is a wee bit lower and it bothered me when I sat -Not sure if one of those Donut shaped cushions might help - how are you doing otherwise?good luck with the dentist and let us know how you are getting on, okay ? big warm hugrenee 
  • Posted

Hi Hazel I'm 14 weeks post tlhr and last night

sleepy on my unop side for first time yahoo

I myself was like you couldn't get comfy on

chairs only place was on bed so like Bobbie

I had every thing to hand on bedside table

walked around every so often and doing great

now so carry on sitting on bed did me no harm

Big hugs and keep on healing. 😘

• Posted

Wow. Thought it was just me. Only comfort I got was to use recliner .put a pillow or 2 under my behind. 1 in my back and use ice pack. Then I could at least get some sleep. It'll get better.

• Posted

My favourites were some soft cushiioned cane furniture in the conservatory for the daytime, and my reclined for evenings.

The cushion in the cane chair is very deep and soft - very comfortable.

For the recliner, I built a six inch high base to raise it so I did not break the ninety-degree rule.  It is electric, so no pushing on the leg rests to get them into a comfortable position.

Graham

• Posted

I hazel I had similar problems sitting down . I found sitting on one of those big bags of ice you can get from the supermarket really helped. Using it at 5 min intervals .
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice all . I tried a recliner tonight .. Not too bad but boy stiff as a board getting up and my stitches hurt . They still feel itchy and raw so god knows what the nurse will find under there Saturday ! Holding out for the tooth as long as possible so will make appt after physio on weds . Hope the hospital has a wheelchair as I cannot see me walking the long corridor in my crutches or Zimmer ! Love to all and happy healing xx
  • Posted

HI Hazel,

hope to hear your doing better. After Thr there are many stages of pain & heeling . I am 17 yrs out from the first one need the cup replaced . Not looking foreword to it but gotta do it .

this to will pass. 

• Posted

Hi Hazel.There is a great pillow called a boppie used for breastfeeding,which you can get used at a second hand baby store.It looks like a sort of rounded horseshoe.You put it into the chair you want to sit in and then sit down.This often is very soft and works as a shock exorber.Try that at least at home Hazel.Get the pillow 2nd hand.Should be about 5.00 dollars
    • Posted

Thanks I know that pillow we have it in U.K. Many thanks will get one !! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.