Ive just started taking Citalopram..

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was prescribed Citalopram for anxiety and depression Ive been taking them for 8 days now but I am thinking about not taking them as they are making me feel so much worse! My doctor did say they may make you worse before they do better but ive never felt this low I feel worse than i did before I started taking them. I just feel so alone and im worried I'll never get better, I really dont Know what to do for the best. Any feedback would be much appreciated. smile

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi nuellasofia. Keep on for a few more days. It took about two or three weeks before I felt any benefit. Try and keep busy because thinking about it just makes it worse. Lesley
  • Posted

Hi

Please keep taking them i promise they will help, these tablets take at least 4 weeks to work effectively.

Try and keep yourself positive, i found journalling helped me the most through the rough few weeks.

I have been on them for 2 months now and they work for me.

• Posted

In what way are you feeling worse? I had insomnia and slightly increased anxiety when first starting Citalopram.  Both of these side effects went away fairly quickly and the medication really helped me for a long time.

• Posted

I have been on cit 10mg going on two weeks now. I too feel sick and tired all the time. But dr says it takes 2 weeks to get into system and 4-6 weeks to fell the full benefits, just give it time and fight through it. I know it's tough, it's tough for me as well. My anxiety is worse and at times I feel like quitting. I'm here for you if you need any help, my name is Joey. Hope you feel better 😊

• Posted

I felt exactly the same when I started on citalopram but it does get better, I found the side effects very tough at first but things will settle, keep going day by day and keep distracted when you can. You will get there.
  • Posted

Hi dont worry about feeling worse at this stage as the Citalopram needs a few weeks to work 8 days is too soon but you will start feel better I take them for anxiety and agoraphobia which led to panic attacks I have been taking 20mg for about 2-3 years now and I feel fine In fact only this afternoon I popped into town did some shopping and then met a friend for coffee Just bear with it for a few weeks do let us know how you get on
    • Posted

How long did it take to get the confidence to be out in public and not have panic attacks. I've been home bound for months, quit driving and lost my job. I've worked my whole adult life. This just has been so overwhelming. I'm on my second week of citalopram 10mg. I'm staying optimistic, in fact I look forward to taking my meds everyday at the same time. I just can't wait to get a new job and socialize. I'm looking forward to taking my twin daughters to dinner at a restaurant where I won't flip out and leave. I'm sick of feeling this way, I can't do anything these days. I'm just looking for someone who has faced the same obstacles as me.

• Posted

Hi  I understand exactly how you are feeling as I suffered from panic attacks for years which was not easy and I was working full time for almost 25 yrs so many times I used to have panic attacks in shops at the bus stop and especially if it was a day when I was feeling tired that always made it worse I used to have to force myself out the house I decided I needed help and went to the doctor about 2-3yrs ago and he put me on 20mg of Citalopram it did take me some weeks before I felt confident again so it was a gradual happening there is no fast cure I am afraid but just hang in there is my best advice to you and it will work I am just a bit surprised you are only on 10mg as I was put on 20mg from the start do let us know how you are getting on and good luck !
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I'm very sensitive to pills, so 10mg was probably best for now. I'm not sure how I feel but I'm sticking to the pills. I want to feel normal and reach my goals. I'm 38 and my family depends on me. But I'm like always hiding in my office, so they don't see how weak and weird I am. Can you tell me how you felt when they've started working?

• Posted

Hi

Thats ok you are welcome we all try to help each other as we have all felt like you do at the moment You are not weak or weird at all its just the state of your nerves at the moment and you dont want your family to see you like this which is perfectly normal and I used to feel the same too I used to have to get a bus home from work (I have been retired for 17 months now) and I used to dread seeing anyone I knew at the bus stop in case I had a panic in front of them 

Well one day a lady I knew started talking to me and I felt the panic starting I managed to keep it from her but all I wanted was for the bus to arrive to take me home to safety ! My brother suffers too but wont take any medication for it he had a panic attack earlier this year in town and a security guard helped him and phoned my sister to come and collect him he said it was the worst one he had ever had 

Anyway I think you need to give it about 4-6wks to notice improvement I know it seems a long time when you are going through it but it really is not that long you should then start to feel you can tackle things that you could not before each day you will gradually feel better in yourself make sure you have plenty of rest as being tired I found made things much worse As you start to feel better get someone to say walk to your local shops with you a few times that will get you out a bit 

I can honestly say once you get your confidence back you really will feel on top of the world as from reading your message you are a socialable type of person and are probably feeling very isolated at the moment it feels like you are the only one feeling like it but believe me you are not I have been amazed to find out how many famouse people suffer from panic attacks too anyway I hope my reply helps a little 

Hope you dont mind me asking are you from the UK ?

• Posted

Nuella

I was prescribed 20mg cit 4 months ago , the first 10 days were the worst of my life totally unbearable , I phoned the doctors to say I didn't want to take them anymore , they convinced me to keep taking them. Things settled down after a couple of weeks but it took well over a month for any real improvement . It turned out 20mg was too high for me so after 3 month I reduced to 10mg & have had a great month, never felt better. Just hang in there , things will get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.