Sertaline not working??.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. Looking for some help really.i have been on sertaline for 7 weeks. I started at 50mg but was moved up to 100mg 2 weeks ago. It seems the worries are worse now than when I was on the 50mg. It's going to be my 3rd week of 100mg and I have a doctor appointment in a few days. I'm unsure weTher I need my Meds upped again. I still feel the same before I took them.

I panic about everything. I get sick the night before I'm going away or a day trip. And then I'll the whole next day too.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I used to take sertline .the systoms you have I was exactly the same. Definitely panicked even now before I travel. I just came back from holiday and going and coming back has knocked me side ways. Am not on any medication now I feel now that in the long term medication will mess me up more.sertline was not good for me but people are different So I take everyday as it comes.
  • Posted

Hi there - I am going for week 3 now, still not 100% but certainly a bit better..

But let me explain to you how I understand the workings of this drug.. I am not a dr, but was hellbent on finding out how/why and found a site that explained it in detail. As we all know it is a SSRI. It blocks the reuptake of seratonin.. So when you start the medication there is a whole lot more seratonin to take up - but you still only have the receptors you had before taking the meds..So you brain makes more receptors to take in all this new seratonin - this takes weeks.. 

Meanwhile, your brain also picks up that there is too much seratonin and halts the production - explainining why things might seem worse. But as I say I am no dr, this is just the way I understand it..Hope it helps..

So hang in there...

• Posted

When my dose was upped to 100 mg it was like starting again – it took another 7 weeks to have an effect. So it's worth being patient.

• Posted

Was that 7 weeks of taking 100mg.?

It's such a long process. My doctor has said try 2 more weeks at 100 and if doesn't help she wants me to try a different one altogether.

• Posted

I am at week 6. First two at 50, then upped to 75, now at 100. I have those anxious attacks in the evening almost every day. My Dr. says I nee to be on the 100 for 6 weeks before I can tell if it is working correctly. I feel better than when I was just on Cymbalta, but still hate the evenings.

I'd talk to your Dr and tel him it isn't working for you.

• Posted

Yeah I spoke to my doc and she said give it two more weeks then may put me on another type. But that seems to be hard work, apparently would need to come off slowly. Seems it's going to be a long process.

Do you know what triggers yours?

• Posted

I haven't figured out any triggers. Maybe just the rush of the day sows down. It is hard and I really don't like it. The waiting for meds to work really stinks.

• Posted

Strange isn't it. I could be just sat watching TV and I get all panicky.

I really need to get it to stop as suppose to be going abroad early next year. But how I feel right now I'm not getting on a plane.

Did you suffer with much symptoms.

I didn't realise how many people suffered with it tbh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.