Insomnia for 2 months - what can I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had insomnia for nearly two months now - going from zero hour nights to not being able to get off until 2/3am.

I've been given different sleeping pills by doctors - but they won't give me anymore now because I've been on them too long.

Zopiclone was a life saver for a while until o ran out.

Now my GP has put me on citalopram as she believes my insomnia is down to depression. I'm on day 10 of this and haven't seen any improvements yet.

I also have a CBT session today.

I have done everything I can - have been off work for 2 weeks to get a routine back and nope - my mind won't let me sleep.

Please help I can't live like this .

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Fear Sarah not depression. Just take zopiclone and eventually if you say "each and every day im feeling calm and relaxed fear has left me" it might take a year but your subconscious will believe it. I take zop for 40 years who cares it works.

• Posted

U r using zopiclone for 40 yrs ? Not possible. It was not even invented that long back. 😂

• Posted

Sarah, citalopram takes atleast 20 days to show any effect. So chill. 👍

• Posted

Yes i meant to say ive been on sleepers ie benzos for 40 years zop for 10 years. I dont know how u get them if the doc says no they always say yes to me
    • Posted

I dont know my dr always lets me have them over the years theyve trien anti depressants and im not depressed just scared of not sleeping ive tried many natural treatments point is its a fear thing for me i need sedating a bit i guess ive been on benzos 30 years zop 10. 

Now at 70 years havingtried everything i stopped trying and did a mantra it took 12 months but im not bothered now it must have worked. Id demand the pill or go private 

• Posted

Hi sarah70627,

This is still going on? I am so sorry. Eventually, your brain will want to sleep, but for some reason it doesn't want to right now. I was unable to sleep at all for 2 weeks, zero hours at all, to a couple hours each night for about a couple months before gradually more hours until sleeping normally again. 

Do you feel like your sleep has getting at all better? Any gradual increase in hours? How many hours are you sleeping now, if any? Citalopram takes about 1-2 months to kick in.

Also, do you watch tv before going to bed? For me personally, because my body is so sensitive, I'll have a difficult time nodding off. Meanwhile my husband isn't affected, even though they say the blue light is supposed to reduce our melatonin production. A month ago, I didn't sleep for nearly 2 weeks. AGAIN. I get sick of it, too. I had to try and experiment the best I could. I took melatonin even if I didn't sleep and tried my best to walk a lot during the day. 

• Posted

Maybe less than 1-2 months. I've read differing reports on it. Everyone's different. I hope your brain finally lets you sleep! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.