Chiari malformation

Posted , 4 users are following.

My son was diagnosed with chiari malformation at 18 month old he's now 14 and gone through his years ok with occasional headache and had his MRI regularly, recently he's being complaining of leg pain he saying it's not growing pains cos it feels different, has anyone else experienced this and is it a known symptom of chiari,

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Helentvy

I'm 54 and only found out I was suffering from Chiari malformation 1 in 2010. My symptoms have involved my joints (all over pain, burning).

Once I'd had my decompression surgery in July 2016 the one instance pain relief was that my joints were great, I'm since suffering again though, but walking every day does help.

Maybe your son needs to discuss with his s neuro Surgeon, his symptoms as every case is different,

Hope he get sorted x

• Posted

Hi searon26,

Thanks for getting back to me I took him to our drs and he said it's highly unlikely it's his chiari, gave him some ibruprofen and said if it's not stopped by next week let him know, said it's shin splint but he's had it a good month. Will keep my eye on him and a check on the pain.

Thanks again

• Posted

I would speak to your neurosurgeon, someone who really knows chiari. I founds GP's don't really know much about it. Good luck

• Posted

Hi!

I'm 27, I was diagnosed recently, I've had Chiari symptoms for 5 years now, only at first I was given a migraine diagnosis, it took some time to get to the right doctor who knows Chiari.

I've had feet and arm tingling and muscle tremors with my headache, but never pain in my extremities. The only other pain I can tie to Chiari is dull long lasting pain between my shoulder blades, I sometimes get that with my headache. But then again - every case is different. You should speak to a doctor who really knows Chiari.

• Posted

I feel you. I wanted to smack the next person who told me they thought I had a *meeegraine* 😂😂😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.