Putting shoes on

Posted , 13 users are following.

At 3 months post op I am managing most things apart from fastening my trainers.Have just ordered some elastic laces.Anyone got any ideas about this avoiding bending at the waist too much

Janet

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I simply wore loose (1 or 2 sizes bigger than my regular shoe size) slip on shoes.  I also kept a long shoehorn but the shoes were loose enough that I didn't use it often.

• Posted

I would have a chat to your physiotherapist for ideas ,extra help . the risk of dislocation scares the hell out of me 😱, Elasticated trainers are great tho x

• Posted

Yes the elastic laces worked well on my work shoes, not sure about Trainers though...just dont bend too much, and little by little you will come right, putting socks on and cutting toenails all comes back in time but you are never the same person, there will be aches and pains, odd twinges that remind you you have had an operation...

Best of luck!!! Ian.

• Posted

Yes Anna it took nearly a year to come right but all ok now, just a good few twinges and odd pains that make me wince and say Ouch!! the odd Tramadol to get me through a shift at work....at least I am mobile and functioning as near to normal as I could expect to be, not having it done was not an issue for me...It had to be done...
    • Posted

Hi again Ian I was thinking I would never do

these tasks again I can just about cut nails on

right foot but left foot operated leg no chance

I'm 14 weeks post and youve just filled me with

hope that I will get there in time, the twinges,

tweeks and pains ill take after

the pain we had before op,so thank you ,you give me hope .Big hugs🙋 😘

• Posted

I still have no internal rotation in my operated leg so tying laces is hard for me. I tend to get my parents, younger brother or boyfriend to do it for me. Which is totally embarrassing when shoe shopping in public. All those stares and sly comments from people wondering why a 20 year old has her mam or boyfriend tying her shoe laces for her. But oh well.

Do you have someone who can help you? Xx

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies everyone.Yes I have my husband but sometimes if he is out and I want to walk I am stuck.Have slip-ons but they are no good for walking!Will see how I get on with elastic laces! Someone suggested Velcro fastening trainers

Janet x

• Posted

Amazon sells a trainer style shoe called "On Cloud" I usually wear a size 81/2 US and that would have fit but I bought them in a size 9 US. The model I got came with elastic laces in and regular laces tossed in should you ever want to change. They are super light but also very supportive. From day 3 after tkr I use a long shoe horn and they slip on easily. I like them so much I bought another pair in different colors the grape is really a navy blue with the slightest purple tinge. They have neon lime green laces and trim! I love them! I also bought the pink and gray, but the grape are my favorite. They are not "garish" at all. My daughter bought the black and white for a tour to England. She was on her feet for 10 or 12 hours a day and found these shoes the best!

• Posted

What??  I'm 9 weeks po tomorrow. I've been bending at the waist for weeks. Been putting my own shoes on since week 3.  In fact I paint and clip my own toenails as well as bring my foot up to tie shoes. . Ask your doc. I've got one more post op visit. I have a list to ask what I can do each time. 

• Posted

Not everyones as lucky as you we're all different

• Posted

I have slip on shoes that have a little lip on the back so they are easy to slip on. Also they gave me a tool to put my shocks on and it works great . no bending for me for a while . Hospital gave me lots of tools a grabber a pole with hooks on to pull pants up and a long sponge for the shower and sock puller . Good luck 
  • Posted

Sketchers, but you need a long shoe horn to put them on. Bending forwards is the the work of the devil...but we will beat it!
  • Posted

I'm anxious for input as well on this - also I'm six weeks post op And am battling fatigue all the time is this the norm? today my hip and scar are huting am on heat

• Posted

I am  6 weeks out too .yes I am suffering from  fatigue and not sleeping too. Scar still hurting but helps to ice it. Dr said it takes time so I take one day at a time . Keep your faith and we will get though this . God Bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.