Date for first hospital appointment

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've finally got my first hospital appointment

Though it's not until the 4th Dec as they're fully booked

I really don't know what to expect

I've been told to book up at with my local hospital or GP to have my blood took prior to my appointment

Though I know my last feratin level was just over 300 which in my understanding from other sufferers on here should be up to 200 for a female but still low compared to others

But since my last blood test I've started to have really bad bruises break out all over

So I don't know if this indicates my levels have worsened or not

I really don't know what to expect when I go to the hospital

Please can anyone advise me to what you had on your first appointment so I at least have some idea

Will I have venesection on my first time there

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi brummiegirl

I had my first venesection last week. my levels are 360. I haven't really had any symptoms only tiredness. I was the same anxious about it but it was very straight forward... I had my bloods done with gp previously so didn't need to get bloods done prior to hospital visit

good luck with it

hope it makes improvement

• Posted

Yes the checked my levels and then did the venesection. I go every two weeks and they check my levels and then depending on my levels they do a venesection. I have been at this about a year and my ferritin started at about 300 also.
  • Posted

Hello Brummie - no major just like donating blood. Make sure you are really well hydrated - like 2 litres the day prior as much as you can manage prior that makes your blood flow better - and easier for them to find a vein. 

Regarding your bruises - where are they on your body?

Are you taking any blood thinners?

• Posted

I find it hard to drink a lot of fluids but will try if it makes it easier

The bruises are always on my legs & arms

And there's always a lot of them at the same time in both areas

No I don't take any blood thinners

I didn't know if the bruises were common with the HM or not

• Posted

Hi

I can see from your previous postings and this one, you are worried

About this,let me assure you I was in exactly the same mind as you when

First diagnosed with a level of 1400,untill I read Glyn over 3000(his goes

Up by more than your level is now after some venesection) mike over

2000+ others,please don't worry yourself until you are seen at the hospital

Given a proper diagnosis and given a treatment plan (if any)

As long as you have no organ damage, just take one day at a time.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Cheers philx

• Posted

Hi Brummiegirl

My ferratin is at 678 I have just had my 3rd veneration and my consultant isn't expecting to see a drop for a couple of months, I currently go every 2 weeks.

. I am a private patient and I do have a blood test before every donation.

The process is easy just like being a blood donor.

My symptoms are tiredness and I has a knee replacement last year, I put it down to old age, I'm 58, but know wondering if The iron overload is the cause of my arthritis.

• Posted

My ferritin went down from 1337 to 970 after 2 venesections.I was only expecting it to go down by 50-100 each time.
    • Posted

Hi

I would be frustrated if my levels didn't drop for 2 month's have

They given you a reason why your levels will not drop????

I had 1 week levels didn't move,another week went up 179.

One of our long suffering friends Glyn has many times his levels go

Up but he has a reason,with his health

Question why you levels will not be dropping

Good luck

Philx

• Posted

Hi Eric

Well done you dropping that quickly,I hope it keeps coming down

Like that for you,but never build your hopes up take each one as it comes

Then you will not be disappointed???

Good luck

Philx

• Posted

Don't feel too bad, my numbers jump all over the place. I know it's frustrating but keep at it, what else can we do?

• Posted

Thanks Philx

Taking it one phleb at a time.prepared for a smaller fall at some point.

Eric

• Posted

You should turn up for your appointment a good hour or so before the time stated on card as you will need to have a blood test b4 the venesection.They do this every time to make sure you are healthy enough to stand the blood lost.My level was 26000 so iv'e had a lot of bleeds and alway get a blood test b4 every1.

• Posted

Hi Patrick

I've only had 14 venesections to date,but I have never had a blood

Test prior to any of my venesections, up to yet it's straight in to

Plabotomist blood pressure before and after, extraction and out.I get my results on the hospital site

1 or 2 days after.,maybe some hospital's work differently????

Cheers philx

• Posted

It's likey they all have their own way philx.Iv'e had over 200 bleeds and alway a test b4.But then my levels are very high so that could be a factor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.