knee pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi can anybody offer any advice on knee pain, firstly over the last two years i have been under a consultant for this problem, he has told me my left knee is worn due to OA which is causing the pain, (after xrays etc) but i have no pain in the bone joint, it is all coming from the back of the knee and radianting in the leg causing a lot of pain when walking due to the OS in the knee, but more so when walking up any incline, i have no swelling is this related?.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sound's like you & me have much the same problem. I am in my mid 50's & my pain started in the left side now to the right side, they have done xrays & mris & find nothing torn even have everything intact cartlidge,no spurs etc but bit of OS I have to use walker everywhere..life has changed for me much.. I am doing therapy but not sure it is helping out I just keep myself going on my walker & dealing with pain..I hope the best for you my friend hang in there it will get better in time..God bless

• Posted

Hi thanks for your kind and prompt repy, i just need to understand why my pain is in the back of the knee, I dont what to have a replacment only to find it's made no difterence, I just cant get and clear answers they just keep confusing the matter.

I wish you well also with your issues, i've always had my glass half full.  

• Posted

If you have the KR you won't have that pain anymore, believe me!

• Posted

Listen, I don't know how old you are but I had pain under my knee for a long whilie, it ended up being Arthritis and a lot of it which causes pain so my advice is bite the bullet and see an orthsoaedic surgeon and have him give you advice , do not wait pain is a sign that's something is wrong and if you need a knee replacement, do it before it gets worse. Where do you live? If in fla, I have a dr for you!

• Posted

Hi David, thanks for your promt reply. i'm 71,my knee consultant originaly said i needed a knee replacment, two years on he's now saying it's not that bad, i Hear you change the consultant, what i dont understand is if i need a replacment why am i getting pain in the back of the knee, it causes me to limp and it becomes stiff, i thought a worn out knee would cause pain in the bone joint, my feels in the soft tissue behind the knee. I live in London UK

• Posted

Hugh,I m 76 in my 7th week of recovery, getting better every day, do not wait any longer , it sounds like arthritis and it will cause pain behind the knee, just went through it and I played golf yesterday! I f your doctor said 2 yrs ago you needed knee replacement it's not getting better without something being done. Hugh, JUST GET IT DONE!!!

• Posted

hello david   I have pain behind my knee right now.  I think its a build up of fluid~from arthritis or Knee Replacement Surgery 6 months ago.  It came once before & its very painful..causes me to limp & use a cane...been 5 days now.  Ice it & dont get a TKR if you can avoid it!  Not always the answer to knee pain.  Believe me its a very Painful recovery if it works!  I am very active & in my 60's.  God Bless

• Posted

Pain coming from the back of the knee is quite normal as is walking up or down a gradient.  Also normal to have no swelling or swelling.  Have they done an MRI?
  • Posted

Sorry, meant to say that pain coming from the back of the knee is quite normal when your knee is worn out, as is walking up or down a gradient.  Also normal to have no swelling or to have swelling.  Have they done an MRI?  It's all in line with having a worn out joint. There's no magic cure sorry to say, except for knee replacements. It depends how debilitating it is before deciding on a knee replacement. 

• Posted

Hi Chery, appriciate your input, I guess it's time to get the thing done as it is affecting my lifestyle, could I ask is your comments from personal experience or some other background, i ask because my consultant i believe sits on the fence about my pain in the back of the knee, and no MIR, he said it would not help as it's a bone structure joint?. thanks once again. regards Hugh

• Posted

Hi Hugh MRIs are done all the time to check out the knee. I'm not a medical person. Are they offering for you to see an orthaepedic surgeon?  I know that Aust and England's health systems are different.  But if they're not suggesting it I'd ask to see one.  I get pain behind my knees, in the knee joint and in the shin and just below the knee cap.  I'm just wondering if they're trying to keep you off the waiting list numbers.  Hopefully not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.