Constipation and Chemotherapy (Folfax-6)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm on my first cycle. I've have been warned if I do not pass stool after 3 days I should go to ER. It's been maybe 4 or 5 days, but I still have gas and things are moving inside. I would be concerned but I did pass a lot of stool on day 1 or 2 of the cycle. Also I have hardly eaten very little because of nausea. Even if I wasn't on chemo, after eating so little I wouldn't expect to pass stool. I don't feel at all backed up. I plan to eat some more prunes and see how I'm doing tomorrow. Should I be concerned?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

As long as your nausea is from chemo and not folfox I think you will be ok.
  • Posted

Hello Zowie did your oncologist not perscribe stool softners and/or laxatives? I am currently at home on day 2 of cycle 3. Cycle 1 was fine but cycle 2 was a disaster tummy felt like i was still healing from op back in July passed very firm stool on day 4 and torn the bowel lining with lots of blood...worried myself for a week until this Thursday when I spoke to my oncologist who replied this happens with this chemo so now I have a lower dose of oxaplatin 130mig instead of 140 and have laxatives to soften the stools until Ive finished on saturday...hoping this helps with the bloating too....as for your nausea you can take the tablets as and when you need them is what I was told by the pharmasist...also Ive found a good old ginger biscuit and ginger and lemon tea a godsend at 5am when insomnia and nause kicks in...I dont really like the tea but if it helps I will drink it lol...go yo er and get yourself checked out xx good luck and let us know how you get on xx
    • Posted

Thanks for the thoughts. I took a stool softener just in case. I hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Sorry to be personal, but are your stools generally very hard or was it because of the chemo treatement?
    • Posted

Hu its ok I think Ive got past the personal bit now lol no generally soft as usually eat a high fibre and vegetable (slimming world lol) no this is down to chemo my oncologist said my tummy is nice and soft but stools do become firm due to the chemo/steroids we take thats why they give us softening tablets but my tummy didnt like them so now I have a mild sachet laxative will see how this works for days 1-4 then I am back to regular 8am lol...If I was you I would go to er as in my booklet it says after 2-3days of not going it is very serious. Do you have a chemo book with all the symptoms and a traffic light system to tell you when you require help? Xx

Are you in the uk? Xx

• Posted

No I'm in Canada. I've taken some stool softeners. My stomach is relaxed not hard. I've eaten some cornflakes. I have wind and rumblings. I am drinking 2 litres of water a day. But If nothing happens by noon I'll go to ER just in case.  Thanks again. You've been a big help.

• Posted

Good to hear youve had something to eat😊 and you have rumblings😊 let me know how you get on xx and youre welcome always good to speak to people going through the same things xx

• Posted

Went to ER for three hours and went to the toilet there! LOL! But better safe than sorry. This chemo is no picnic. Thanks you so much for your help and I hope you are feeling okay. You will finish a little earlier than me. I think doing chemo is like eating an elephant--one spoonful at a time. Stay safe!
    • Posted

Yay well done to you and your body😊😊😊 dont be a stranger keep in touch. Yes all being well a month before you but this time she did warn me my bloods had dropped and if they below 80 I cant have my next cycle until the following week so will be a three week instead of two weekly ...ruins all my good day plans lol but could have new years instead of xmas as a good week so could be a bonus😉 take care and speak soon😊😊 xx

• Posted

Oh my, you poor thing. Were eating normally or lightly? How long were you constipated for? I think I'll lay off food till tomorrow and see if I go... I think I will. If not...sigh, I'm sick of ER and hospitals. I just don't feel bloated or uncompfortable. If no show tomorrow though, I better play it safe.

• Posted

Hi Zowie just checking in on you to see how youre getting on? I had to miss cycle 4 for a week as platelets were too low😕 so refuced the dosage again by 10mlg and feel good this cycle no tummy pains no bloating and nice soft regular stools lol.

What about you? Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.