I have 4 painful ulcers on penis. Not tested yet. Cloud it be GH?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I fooled around, had oral sex on me by a girl. Didn't have symptoms for at least 2 weeks. Then I remember masturbating really heavily and 'cut' my penis (under than glans).

After a couple of days, it became irritated and ulcers started to form under the head (4 in total). In the next few days these ulcers were getting super painful, forming pus and had also white/clear discharge from the urethra, clearly suggesting an infection. The ulcers look like chankers (I googled for pics) - not clustered up, and there was not a 'blister phase'. However they are painful as hell.

Another thing to add is that I was stressed because of work and not sure if GH was dormant in my system and it just triggered everything, but I cannot say as I never tested for GH.

So my questions are these:

1. Could GH skip the blister phase and go directly ulcer-mode?

2. Do blood tests we normally take in GU clinics include GH? I remember taking one a couple of yeears ago and was clear, but not sure what it included apart from HIV, HEP/A/B/C.

3. If I had GH am I doomed not to have children or a normal sex life without condom?

NB: I will add pictures on request.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

1. Yes, especially on moist mucosal skin.

2. Typically not. The blood test for herpes usually needs to be specifically requested and may not even be available at some clinics, etc.

3. Yes, you can still have children! As for condoms, it depends on which HSV type you have, amongst other things. You should get your lesions swabbed and typed asap before healing.

• Posted

1. ?

2. When asking for a full STI screen, they usually only do gonnorhea, clamydia, AIDS. They don't even mention existence of HSV 1 or 2 (during a breakout, my doc considered visual sufficient diagnosis, but I asked for swab so I could know strain), HPV (I don't think there's a test for men, only visual exam), syphilis (not rare, but not common), trichomoniasis (4 mil Americans but usually only a problem during pregnancy) and a few others not common in this country.

3. I read herpes is a rare but serious complication if passed to unborn baby. Causes birth defects etc.

condoms don't cover enough to offer much protection for HPV or HSV.

I read online to abstain from sex contact when you feel an outbreak coming on, until 7 days after its over. My boyfriend and I still make love, underwear just stay on.

• Posted

Why is it important to know the strain?
    • Posted

Because genital HSV1 is far less infectious than genital HSV2. Mind you, if you did get it from oral sex, then it's most likely HSV1. However, at this point, you're not even sure that it's definitely herpes, as you haven't been properly diagnosed via testing. That's your first step, and be sure to check that the swab test is type-specific. Accuracy of swab tests declines with each passing day, so make an appointment asap.

• Posted

So my GP gave me Azith 2g and I am waiting for the GUM appointment for next week.

In the meantime, should I see sores crusting over if they are really HSV? If they don't crust, should I assume they are not? I am asking because my GP was not sure whether they were herpes or chancroid or something else and referred me to GUM.

• Posted

Wow, your GP doesn't know what it is for sure *and* failed to do a swab test as well? That was your best opportunity to find out! The accuracy/reliability of the standard swab test for herpes will be greatly reduced by next week (false negatives increase over time).

Herpes lesions tend to scab over on exposed, regular skin, but not on moist, mucosal skin (they just heal, same as oral canker sores). Sounds like you were prescribed an antibiotic, which won't work against herpes, but will work if your issue is bacterial and sensitive to the antibiotics. If they clear it up quickly, then it's not herpes.

• Posted

Unfortunately in my country we are very traditional and GP does not have a say in venereal disases and he refers patients to a GUM (which there is only one national clinic). Also most doctors here are moral police which makes it very awkward to go and show them the 'penis'.

• Posted

That's a rather unhelpful setup you have in the UK! Didn't realise it was quite like that. Where I'm based, it's normal to have insurance coverage and go private (subsidised public system is pretty decent, too). Far more efficient, that's for sure! Any GP can order a test for you, provided they are connected to a lab that supports the test in question. Pity it's not like that over there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.