Movement after THR

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all.

After having my THR 5 days ago. I am getting the urge to move my leg in ways I cannot do it yet, like crossing it or even raising my knee while lying down. It's a strange feeling because I just cannot raise my Leg at all yet. I know I can't do it yet because it would dislocate my hip, but does anyone else get these urges??

PS I have realised Morphine doesn't take the pain away for me it just intensifies it I think codine works best.

Cheers. J

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was doing heell slides in bed day one. I simply put my foot flat and slowly moved it towards my butt. That's one of my exercises i do daily. I do have to stop and think not to cross my feet!

• Posted

Haven't had the op yet - two weeks to go! But some people have a genetically induced immunity to morphine. It doesn't work on me either. And now we believe my dad when he said that it wasn't working - unfortunately he always was a bit of a complainer, so nobody believed him! Apparently it's something that medical researchers have only recently found out, and a lot of doctors still don't know about it.

• Posted

Hi Julie, take care, no crossing! Think it's ok to slide your foot towards you, and raise your knees while you're lying down. I used to do that a lot during the night, because I was usually uncomfortable on my back. (Just don't raise your knees too high, remember the 90 degree rule.) Good luck with your recovery. I was mostly pain free with codeine and paracetamol. Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

I agree. I was so worried I would automatically roll onto my side while I was asleep. That was before I knew that you don't sleep after THR for a while!

• Posted

Codeine seems pretty good for me too Julie. I haven't had your urges thank goodness. Don't go there...!😊

• Posted

Hi Julie,

​It is funny what our legs want to do but we are not able to.   The one exercise I had was to slide my foot up to bend the knee gave some relief.

​Having had both hips done at the same time I so much wanted to cross them at times, and the one thing I found when sitting with my legs up, feet were itchy and I was trying to rub them together... not a chance my legs we so swollen I could not ge the feet to meet. 

​I am on Tramadol, have been now for 9 weeks but decreased the amount now, I only take at night time, unless I have overdone it and I will take one with dinner in the evenings.

Early days but you will have strange feelings of what you want to do and I think it is the mind trying to get over what our bodies have been through.  All those nerves fighting to repair must confuse the brain.

​Good luck and come back if you have any other questions.  

• Posted

I woke up one night trying to lift my knee!  Did it, was so terrified...whizzed it down.  Never happened again.  Who knows?  
  • Posted

Hi all.

Thanks for the input. It is reasuring. I won't cross my legs or try to now. I will sleep better tonight I think.

Onwards and upwards hey.

Cheers j

• Posted

Try sleeping with something under the knee that may help... slim cushion on towel folded... good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Julie

Yes weird not being able to move leg .. But if u can't ..Don't ! I finally was able to move my keg about day 11 and it is now day 14 and I can move it up about one foot . Don't try yet .. Wait . Codeine gets changed to morphine in the liver .. I took 90 mg codeine and paracetamol l for first week only thing that worked .. U will raise ur leg but takes a while certainly not at day 5 !!

• Posted

Hey Julie, I know how you feel!! I'm so used to bending leg up. The good thing is we can do this. As someone has mentioned, the "heel slide" is one of the beginner exercises they have me doing. Therapist suggests putting your foot into a trash bag, (or any plastic bag should work) to facilitate sliding your foot up and down. Also, you can grab the bag to assist if you need. Also, just remember the 90 degree limit. Crossing the legs is a tough one. No solution except to uncross the second you realize that you've crossed them. I did sleep a bit better when I started to use a regular pillow between my knees. The abduction pillow was just not working at home. I slept on my back or even on my good side with the pillow. It was more comfortable and I don't think any of us are getting to that good deep sleep yet. I was comfortable enough with the pillow yet aware and it did keep me from crossing legs. Good luck!!

• Posted

hi julie, 

I hope you had a couple of hours of uninterrupted sleep - 

well, as it has been said here many times, you are in the early days of recovery from a major invasive surgery ... 

in bed exercises are important, the legslides mentioned here, ankle rotations and foot pumps - please do not attempt the dead leg lifts yet - it is too much - muscles and tendons were severed and are not repaired yet - 

standing exercises as told by PT in hospital are good...

first couple of weeks are challenging -

big warm hug'

renee

• Posted

Hi Julie all these things are part of what we're

going through don't be worrying I no that's easy

to say when your not sure what the heck is

going on, other Hippies are correct heel

sliders are good you get that knee higher little

by little no rush I'm 14 weeks now and have to

say this is my best week nearly back to normally

still a little stiff when starting off and those

nerves still dances round my scar but I'll take

that after bone on bone pain o/a ,so be kind to

yourself ,plenty of naps don't try to over do it

you'll get there big hugs and keep on healing

🙌 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.