Is it Bowel cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 21 year old female.The past year I had an accident which led to me having my leg broken , I developed something called "compartment syndrome". I had an emergency operation to stop the syndrome and then two additional surgeries .I stayed in the hospital for 16 days and was taking lots of antibiotics and meds. The first day of the accident , like the very first , I remember I couldn't have a bowel movement . While in the hospital , I would strain and have a bowel movement once every three days .I asked if that was normal and they said it was. After leaving the hospital , I started having more frequent bowel movements , but almost 1month after my departure from the hospital , I got a staph infection that spread to my leg . (More antibiotics ) .Then , after two months I got mastoiditis (more antibiotics ).The docs told me my immune system was compromised because I was immobile because of my accident for 7 months up till that time .I'd like to add that I had to have screws on my ankle.

Additionally , a year before my accident I was diagnosed with esophagitis of 3rd degree and have been receiving laprazol ever since.

My bowel movements are not painful.I have been going more regularly compared to the first months after the accident ( I go every day ).I have no pain , no bleeding , no detectable mass , no itching .My poo goes from separate lumps to more liquid smushy kind ( in the Bristol stool chart I've had everything from 1 to 6 .Diarrhoea occurred only twice in the whole year . ).I have noticed that they are getting better but I'm still concerned. Also I have noticed that every time before my period I get more constipated ( I have no pelvic pain , no irregular periods or spotting ). I have become a huge hypochondriac and have visited at least 3 gastrenterologists.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I  think your constipation before periods could be due to poor diet-do you eat healthily

plenty of fruit/veg/seeds -porridge etc etc-

and drink plenty of water (not fizzy drinks or juice) water is the best thing to get things moving. Try warm water first thing in the morning with  fresh lemon.

You also need something to put back bad/good bugs in the gut-acidophilous-(either yogurt (with live culture) or supplement capsules from Holland & Barratt or similar shop.

Your accident has left you in this state of high anxiety (or it seems that way to me).

Doubt that you have cancer. Too young.

Have you spoken to your GP lately ? Does he know of your fears ?

If he thinks you are at risk of cancer he will probably advise blood test and colonoscopy/plus CT Scan.

I say again I doubt that you have cancer.

• Posted

The second I even said the word cancer he got furious . My anxiety is really really bad .As far as my esophagitis is concerned , it's because of GERD. Thank you for replying !!!

• Posted

Hi Despoina,

My, you have been through the mill, especially for 21!

Take a very deep breath and let it out slowly.

When we take pain medication, we depress the workings of our body. Our gi tract slows down and can even stop. The great news is that it is moving.

Also being sedentary slows the body down.

Sweetheart, you are okay...you have come through the worst of the recovery. When our bowel slows down, the stool firms up. Go off the meds and things loosen up. Return to the meds and things tighten up. Which is why your system is a bit confused.

Ankle screws...yup, got those ...fractured leg...yup, multiple times...surgery...yup, can not longer count how many

Stay in touch

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.