Cochlear implant

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm just wondering if anyone with MD has had surgery for a cochlear implant and if so how is it working for you ?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

H Jane,

I haven't had a cochlear implant, but I'm very curious about them.  Have you had one, or are you considering it?  

Do you mind sharing more about your experience?

Thanks!

J-

• Posted

I am in the process of being evaluated for one for my left (worse) ear which has progressed to profound hearing loss .My right ear has moderate to severe hearing loss.I am 61 and I am now unable to work due to my hearing loss .My ENT has suggested this to improve my quality of life .My main concern is the risk I've read of vertigo which I have gotten under control with my diet .I see the surgeon next Monday and will discuss this with her at that time .I haven't heard of anyone having this surgery on this site.

• Posted

Dear Jane,

Your question made me wonder, and I googled for articles using the key words: cochlear implants for patients with meniere's disease.  There were quite a few, but there was quite a range of opinions with regard to the risks of vertigo and dizziness.  One article described a vestibular implant in addition to the cochlear implant, that dealt exclusively with dizziness and balance problems, post CI (google - vestibular implant may help people with meniere's disease)

That's a 

• Posted

Sorry...I hit "Reply" too early!!

I'm so sorry to hear how radically the hearing loss has effected your life.   And since you have the virtigo under control with diet, I can understand why you'd be horrified at the prospect of having to face that again.  Ugh.  In some of the articles they discuss, in so many words, "the trade off" involved in dealing with one problem in order to help another.  But that would be a tough one to sort out.

I wish there were someone here with experience, with whom you could discuss the problem.  I guess the best route to take would be to discuss it with your ENT until your fully satisfied that you understand the risks and statistical outcomes so far.  Perhaps it would be possible for the doctor  to set something up with MD patients who might be willing to talk with you about their experience with the CI?  Or perhaps there are CI forums elsewhere on the net, where you might pose the question?

If I were in your shoes, I would be experiencing the same fears, as well as excitement about the prospect of gaining some hearing ability.   It sounds like you're exploring brand new territory.  (You're a pioneer!) Based on the number of MD patients alone, and the number of CI's that have been done, there couldn't be that many people who have both!  I wish there were some way for MD patients with CI's to unite and share their experiences with each other, and with the aging MD patients (like myself!) who will ultimately have profound hearing loss due to this disease.  A current MD patients get older and experience further hearing loss, and as the CI procedure becomes more common, I'm sure that many will find themselves asking the same questions that you are, right now.

I wish you the very best of luck in finding out more information and in making a decision that feels right for you.  I'd love to hear more about what you learn, and what you decide.  I hope you'll either post a follow up on this discussion thread, or if you'd like, you can send me a private message on this site. Thanks so much.

Tke good care,

J

• Posted

Thanks so much for the information I will definitely discuss the vestibular implant with my ENT next Monday !this will be my first visit with this ENT who is head of our local cochlear implant department ..I will definitely bring up my concerns and see how many patients she's done surgery on who have menieres and I may also look into other surgeons who may have had more experience with MEnieres patients if needed! I will post after my visit next week !TU again

• Posted

Wishing you the best of luck!  I look forward to seeing your post!!

J-

• Posted

I just thought I'd put an update about my visit with my new ENT..she said actually my hearing comprehension with my hearing aides is not quite bad enough by insurance guidelines to cover a cochlear implant .(it is about 60% and guidelines are below 40%) she did say she could write a letter to my insurance to see if she could get it covered .she said the implant should not cause an increase or elicit vertigo ..she also says she's not sure I have MD (even though I've had a history of vertigo. Tinnitus .and typical low frequency hearing loss ..I'm understand her to say this since both my ears are involved and my hearing loss is progressive and I'm not having frequent vertigo attacks but she says it's hard to really dx.MD anyhow and you treat the symptoms ..I am thinking of following up with her in 6 months to test my hearing again then I'll decide about the implant which eventually I will probably do(if/when insurance will cover it)

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I'm so glad you posted your update!  So....Once again, insurance rules the day!! Sigh.  But you never know...perhaps your doctor will succeed if she writes a letter of appeal.  

When you talk about the percent of hearing comprehension with your hearing aids on:  Do you mean the combined hearing comprehension of both ears, or are they just measuring the percentage of hearing with your bad ear?

Well, it's good that you got the main answer you were looking for.  And, it's really great to hear that she doesn't feel that vertigo will be an issue with a CI.  More information is always better!!  

I'm a little bewildered about her reluctance to diagnose you with MD.  You sound like such a classic case of bilateral MD!!

Thanks again for the update!  Take good care.

J-

• Posted

Combined of both ears my left is profound my right is moderate hearing loss ..I also can't understand why she is hesitant to diagnose this as MD!?i am going to get a copy of that visit note and maybe can figure out why she's hesitant ..she did talk about how diagnosing MD is process of elimination..anyhow due to other commitments in my life right now I'm not ready for surgery so she will write the letter when I'm ready ..

• Posted

It seems strange to me that no one on this forum has said they've had an implant ! I have been in touch though with a woman with MD who has a blog who has bilateral implants and was glad she had them..I've actually never spoke to or heard or read of anyone who regrets the surgery ..it really is amazing technology!

• Posted

I agree....It's amazing technology!  And I can't imagine why anyone plagued with profound hearing loss, wouldn't hesitate to try it (providing that insurance will help pay for it!).  Your experience has encouraged me to learn more about it!

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

I'll be interested in your experience!

• Posted

Thank you!  I'll let you know what happens when I get to the point when I'm eligible for that treatment.  Right now, my hearing still fluctuates wildly, along with the tinnitus, and my frequent audiograms reflect that.  And with each MD crisis, it gets worse.  I'm anxious to get to a stable point, so that I can get help.  The hearing impairment from MD has disrupted my life in ways that I could never have imagined.  For me, it's been the source of a lot of depression

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.