I have had chronic neck pain following whiplash 5 years now. Please help.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a car accident hit a wall and tensed for impact. Weeks after developed a bad neck. Pain is more intense when looking up and tilting the head either left or right. Have problems when driving as the head is in one position for a while. This is driving me crazy have had 4 physios treat me and acupuncture. Please help.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear friend...I think I know better than anyone the misery of neck pain because I have had it. I have learned a lot about the neck pain thru my experience as a nurse and first hand as a neck pain patient...So...let me tell you what I do know about whiplash/ neck pain. Most neck pain is musculoskeletal in nature given they didn't find some other source of your pain on imaging...the main culprit of neck pain is the deep neck flexors that become weakened when a person experiences pain of any kind. When the extensors at the back of the neck become excessively tight it puts these deep neck flexors on stretch and further lengthens and weakens them. This creates a muscular imbalance between the neck and the head resulting in forward head posture and cervical instability as the deep neck flexors are the core stabilizing muscles of the neck...the head becomes unstable on the neck and the skull/occiput can become hyperextended on the atlas called the OA joint ...and you can also have hyperextension thru C1-C2 and lower....the pain comes from the hyperextension and spasms that can compress on neurovascular structures in the upper neck, however trying to work on these tight muscles will never fix the problem unless you work on the deep neck flexors...they are the culprit and most people and even some therapist will try to help their patients by focusing only on the areas of pain...chasing areas of pain will never give lasting results....the best thing one can do for neck pain is specific exercises...there is no manipulation, no pill, no procedure that will give you lasting results if you don't fix the dysfunction...it sounds to me like you need lots of work on your deep neck flexors...extensors are too tight and when your looking up you are further compressing structures in the neck as the skull falls back on the neck... The specific exercises needed are very hard to explain and need to be done under the guidance of someone experienced and has the patience of a saint...don't give up on this...find you someone who can help you...But definitely don't do nothing as this can get much worse...if the head isn't straight these imbalances will spiral down into the shoulders all the way down to your feet...it can get darn uncomfortable.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for the reply. What will be the best path for me to take? Again thankyou for your time.
    • Posted

Find you a physical therapist who is well versed in muscular imbalances particularly forward head posture... and understands the importance of deep neck flexor work ( and I am not talking about knowing how to instruct on a chin retraction)and stability of cervical spine... also a therapist who can perform mobilization techniques would be helpful...not manipulation but rather mobilization to get the joints moving in the neck...sometimes hiring someone private gives you more specialized attention rather than the therapist's divided attention between you and the others in the rehabilitation center...this takes a well trained individual with patience and skill...talk to people, look in the phone book, and most importantly inquire about their credentials in muscular imbalance...if you cant find a physical therapist check with sports science...they can be difficult to get into with this particular problem because they are dealing with the injuries of athletes they need to return to the field...again do your homework...and prepare for work, patience, and diligence....

• Posted

Again thankyou so much for a quick response. I now have a glimmer of hope that I can improve my situation. I will do as advised and seek the correct help this time around. Just one more bit of advice. Could this cause lower back pain moving into the hip as this has developed since the neck problem with no actual sustained injury. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Absolutely, it can...if the head is too far forward....the shoulders will round forward...the body does what it has to in order to create stability and keep you from falling on your face so the rest of the upper body sways backward and the lower body sways forward....called an anterior pelvic tilt...this creates an excessive arch in the lower back which can get very uncomfortable...and because the pelvis and upper leg bone form the hip joint you absolutely can create pain in hips all the way down to knee and even ankle...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.